Academic Advising

General Information

At High Point University the advising process consist of two parties working diligently and collectively together – the ADVISOR and the ADVISEE. Each party has responsibilities and obligations to perform in this joint process.


ADVISOR: A faculty member who facilitates University communication, coordinates learning experiences through academic course (semester schedules) and career planning, evaluates academic progress, and refers students to other campus resources.


ADVISEE: A student who has final responsibility for all decisions made related to their academics. The student is responsible for seeking advice and assistance from the advisor, knowing university rules and regulations, checking their university MyStuff and e-mail accounts for University communications, and maintaining accurate personal information (address, phone, etc.) on the university system.


Learning Outcomes from the Advisement Experience

  • Students will demonstrate the ability to make effective decisions regarding their degree and career goals.
  • Students will effectively use their MyStuff for class registration and data information updat
  • Students will effectively use their HPU email for campus communication.
  • Students will use the Academic Advising website for information and a requirements worksheet for their major and other advising information and details.
  • Students will develop and maintain an Advising Portfolio that also serves as documentation of student learning outcomes for advisement.
  • Students will develop educational plans for achieving their academic and life goals.
  • Students will select courses each semester to make progress towards completion of the core curriculum as well as major program requirements.
  • Students will take a planned schedule to their next semester to their registration advising conference.
  • Students will have knowledge of University policies, procedures, and rules related to conduct and educational progress and requirements as outlined in the Undergraduate Bulletin.
  • Students will utilize campus services and resources to enhance personal and educational success.



The Advising Portfolio should be maintained by the student. It should contain the following:

1.  Original Matriculation sheet upon entry to the University.

2.  4-year, semester-by- semester educational plan

3.  An updated transcript

4.  Current copy of their semester schedule.

5.  Any copies of Class Probation Notices, Absence Notifications, and Involuntary Withdrawals.

6.  Their copies of “Change of Registration” forms [to add or drop courses].

7.  Any other materials that are pertinent to their academic planning and future graduation.



What is FERPA? FERPA is a Federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records. It also provides guidelines for appropriately using and releasing student education records. It is unintended that students’ rights be broadly defined and applied. Therefore, the student is considered to be the “owner” of his/her education records; the institution is “custodian” of those records.

Access. Once a student turns eighteen, access to educational records is transferred from parent/guardian to the student. Parents can be given access if the student signs authorization to release such information by submitting a signed “Authorization to Disclose Academic Information” form. [Available on the Registrar’s Office website.]

Student Grades/other academic information: Information about grades, academic standing, class probation, etc. is sent directly to the student via their MyStuff or HPU email account. The best approach is to ask your student for this information. However, this information can be provided to parents upon your request if an “Authorization” form has been signed and submitted.

MORE INFORMATION? More information is available on the Registrar’s Office website at:



 A number of specialized forms are used by the University for specific academic purposes. A listing and brief explanation of the purpose of each is listed below. More detailed explanations are contained both on the application form and in the University’s Undergraduate Bulletin. All forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.

 DROP/ADD [also called the Change of Registration Form]: This form is used to change your registration schedule either by dropping and/or adding a course(s). The ADD date is always the end of the first week of classes after which classes may not be added to your schedule. The DROP date is always the Friday of the week after fall or spring break. Specific dates for an academic year are posted on the University Calendar.

 UNGRADED COURSE OPTION FORM: Students in their sophomore through senior year may opt to take one course per semester on an ungraded or credit/no credit basis provided the course is not a general education, major, or minor requirement. Also, a student may not take any more than 18 credit hours on an ungraded basis and not be on academic probation. Change to an ungraded basis must be completed before the end of the ADD period.

 INDEPENDENT STUDY: Students in their sophomore through senior year may opt to take one, three-hour independent study course per semester. Independent Study is defined as the combined study, research, learning , and reporting that is completed independently by a student on an agreed upon topic with a professor who serves as the supervisor and resource person. The student is responsible for developing and organizing the entire course which is neither the same or similar to an existing course offered in the University.

 DIRECTED STUDY: A directed study course is the study of a prescribed course content of an existing course in which the student, usually due to a schedule conflict, is unable to attend the scheduled class session. A maximum of 4 courses may be taken as directed studies and no more than one in a semester.

 CREDIT BY EXAMINATION: Also known as a “Course Challenge,” this allows a student to receive credit for a course by demonstrating mastery of its subject matter usually via a comprehensive test. Not all courses are available for challenge and other restrictions apply. See the Undergraduate Bulletin.

 STUDENT CAREER INTERN PROGRAM (SCIP): Student may earn between 6 and 15 credits by completing an approved internship at an appropriate intern site related to one’s major. Additional specific details are available in the Internship Handbook available from the program’s director, Mr. Eric Melniczek.

 DEGREE AUDIT: Students should sign-up in the Registrar’s Office to have a formal Degree Audit completed during their second semester Junior year or first semester Senior year.



The High Point Admissions Office is Located in Wrenn Hall.

Tours are available 7 days a week. Please contact us to schedule your visit.

(800) 345-6993
(336) 841-9216
(336) 888-6382 (fax)