So why not begin with a Ten Reasons list? Here we go!
Ten Reasons Why HPU is a Great Fit for Your Son or Daughter
1. Our Motto: At High Point University every student receives an extraordinary education in a fun environment with caring people. We live it, we mean it, we execute on it!
2. Academics: Academics come first at High Point University. To that end, in the fall of 2010 we will implement the restructuring of the University Curriculum to a four-hour core. This is a strictly academic move that will increase diversity, rigor and student engagement and allow for greater depth and breadth of study at all levels. It’s a 21st Century curriculum for 21st Century students.
3. Character-Building: High Point University is listed on The Templeton Guide’s Top 100 Honor Roll for Character-Building Colleges & Universities. We believe in a holistic education approach that extends beyond the classroom walls.
4. The President’s Seminar: As a freshmen at High Point, your son or daughter will have the unique opportunity to take the President’s Seminar from Dr. Nido Qubein, a man who came to America at 17 years of age with no money, no connections and little knowledge of English and went on to become one of this country’s top business leaders, speakers and authors. The President will teach all freshmen in a required class revealing his strategies for success in business and in life, covering topics from the fundamentals of leadership to persuasive presentation techniques to self-esteem and confidence.
5. Bragging Rights: High Point University is on the move! This year we were named the # 1 Up-and-Coming University in our category by U.S. News & World Report and #5 and rising among comprehensive colleges in the South.
6. Experiential Learning: HPU students can Study Abroad for a May term, summer term or full semester, focusing on subjects such as Art in Italy, Business and Economics at Oxford University in England, Chinese life and culture in China, or Sports Management in Australia! Additionally, our Career Counseling Center is available to students from day one, helping your son or daughter engage in real life experiences and plan for internships that lead to a solid career path or graduate school.
7. The Campus Concierge: Need information on local shopping, restaurants or movie listings? Need advice on local transportation? Perhaps your student needs a repair in his or her dorm room. The Campus Concierge is here to help! From organizing transportation to airports during University breaks to making dinner reservations when you come to visit your student, the Campus Concierge is a one-stop-shop for all the information and services you or your student need.
8. Dorm Life: Our on-campus living is second to none! All of our residence hall rooms are amazing and either brand new or recently renovated, so your student feels secure in his or her home away from home. Click here to view our virtual tours!
9. Moral Values: We believe you can’t teach values, but you can model them, and we do that every day with things like our free snack kiosks modeling the value of generosity and our ice cream truck modeling the value of joy. Our students feel that we care about them and when that happens, they in turn care more deeply for others.
10. The WOW Factor: At High Point University, the Director of “WOW!” works with staff members campus-wide to ensure that our students live in an extraordinary environment. From unique HPU gifts to live concerts—like O.A.R. and Gavin DeGraw—to academically stimulating guest speakers like Rudy Giuliani, Bill Cosby, Tom Friedman, Mitch Albom, Justice Clarence Thomas and Buzz Aldrin.
I wouldn’t call this a “top ten” list because, quite frankly, there are far more than ten reasons why High Point University will be a great fit for your child. I invite you to come see for yourself!