Forms of English Proficiency
Non-native English speakers have demonstrated the minimum English language proficiency required for admission if they have completed any of the following:
- Taken an official TOEFL (iBT) and received a score of 79 or higher. The school code for TOEFL is 5293.
- Taken an official IELTS and received a score of 6.0 or higher. There is no school code for IELTS.
- Successfully completed the American Language Academy Intensive English Program.
- Successfully completed ELS Level 112 at an ELS Language Center.
- Attended for 3 consecutive years, and graduated from, an accredited U.S. high school.
- Obtained an official score of 4 or higher on either the IB Higher Level Language examination in English, or the AP Program examination in English Language.
Upon admission to High Point University, all non-native English speakers are required to take an ESL (English as a Second Language) placement exam. The results of this exam will determine whether the student will be required to take 0-16 hours of credit-bearing ESL classes during the first two semesters at High Point University. Any required ESL classes will fulfill the Foreign Language portion of the the General Education (Core) Requirements.