The Natural Sciences Fellows Program enriches the academic experiences of students who show exceptional promise in the sciences by providing them with unique, personalized, professional development training that prepares them to be leaders in their field. Key elements of the program include one-on-one coaching on professionalism with award-winning faculty mentors; “backstage” access to networking opportunities with world-renowned scientists and physicians; leadership roles within their undergraduate programs; and priority access to research opportunities within the natural sciences.
As a result of participation in this unique program, natural science fellows will distinguish themselves from their peers as they enter the workforce or graduate / professional programs as poised, confident leaders who have mastered both the hard and soft skills that ensure success in their profession.
Students in the Natural Science Fellows Program have unique opportunities to:
- Have backstage access to discussions with world-renowned scientists
- Receive personalized coaching from faculty in their discipline
- Travel together on a networking and professional development trip
- Plan and execute a STEM related service learning project
- Travel together for a health related service trip
- Participate in a yearlong “Scientific Creativity and Innovation Project”
- Enter national collegiate inventors competition
- Personalized coaching for graduate school and professional interviews
- Receive funding for travel to scientific meetings and/or national competitions
Who should apply?
Successful applicants to the Natural Science Fellows program will have a declared major in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or Physics and have a track record of success in their studies of the natural sciences. Previous research experiences, summer programs, participation in competitions or conferences and other science-related experience will be an advantage for applicants. The program is highly selective and is limited to the top fifty incoming natural science students in each entering class.
How to Apply
To be considered for membership into the Natural Sciences Fellows Program, you must first submit your High Point University undergraduate admissions application.
Then, please complete your Natural Sciences Fellows application through Slideroom by February 1 for priority applicants and by March 1 for all others.
Natural Science Fellows receive a $3,000 scholarship renewable annually based on academic performance and continued participation in the program. This is in addition to any Presidential or High Point Scholarship.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Angie Bauer
Professor and Chair of Biology
Director of Natural Sciences Fellows Program