Undergraduate Admissions

Transfer Students

Thank you for your interest in High Point University!

You are ready to make a smart and strategic decision by applying to transfer to High Point University, the Premier Life Skills University. Our renowned faculty and staff will prepare you for a life of success and significance in any field. Together, you will hone life skills, become an expert within your field of study and take advantage of innumerable experiential learning opportunities. Let’s begin!

Below, you will find answers to many of your questions, including: instructions about how to apply, find scholarships, locate your favorite student organization and unofficially find out how your current credits will transfer.

Transfer Student Application Deadlines

Fall Application Deadline Extended to July 31

Spring DecisionAugust 1, 2019December 1, 2019*Rolling Admission
Fall Priority DecisionAugust 1, 2019*March 1, 2020April 15, 2020
Fall DecisionAugust 1, 2019July 1, 2020*Rolling Admission
*Note: The deadlines are postmark or electronic submission dates. All supporting documents and the application must be postmarked by the stated deadlines.

Students seeking admission to High Point University as a transfer student may apply for admission after at least 24 semester hours of college-level coursework  are completed or are in the process of completion, with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. Transfer applications will be considered on a space-available basis. Space in the transfer student class is limited, therefore it is recommended that students apply early.

Applying to High Point University

In order to be considered as a transfer student at High Point University, a minimum of 24 semester hours of transferable college-level credit must have been completed or be in the process of completion. Transfer students must be eligible to return to the previous institution attended. Transfer admission is offered on a highly competitive basis (priority consideration is given to freshmen). The number of transfers selected each year depends upon the space available. Admission to High Point University as a transfer student is based on a student’s high school record, SAT or ACT scores, final semester GPA, as well as the cumulative GPA. The number can vary from year to year.

A maximum of sixty-two (62) credits may be applied to a baccalaureate degree from a two-year college and a maximum of ninety (90) credits may be applied from a four-year college or university.

While not required, an official campus tour is encouraged. It gives us an opportunity to learn more about you as a person and gives you the chance to see firsthand all the wonderful opportunities that are available to our students.

If you are currently a high school senior and you have completed college-level coursework, you will be awarded the appropriate course credit provided you submit an official college transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Transfer Student Application Requirements

  1. Complete and submit your application for admission and all required supporting application forms online. APPLY NOW!
  2. Ask your guidance or college counselor to send your official high school transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
  3. Ask the Registrar at each of the colleges/universities that you attended to send official transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at High Point University.
  4. Give a copy of the College Report Form to the Dean of Students (or similar University official) at the college/university that you have most recently attended. The College Report Form can be found here
  5. Please provide one letter of recommendation.

While we carefully consider all the information you provide us, your college academic history is the most important part of your application. We want to ensure your success at High Point University, and we need to be able to gauge your ability to succeed in college courses. We not only look at your grades, but also the difficulty of the courses you took.

Your transfer essay is also an important part of your application because it not only gives you an opportunity to tell us about yourself, but it also provides us with a glimpse of your writing style. We encourage you to use your application essay to summarize your experiences and why you’ve chosen HPU. If you have not been in school for several years or did not do well academically at your last institution, we strongly encourage you to enroll in several courses at a local community college before applying to High Point University.

After Applying

You can check the status of your application on your MyHPU page. We will communicate with you via your MyHPU Application Checklist and through a series of emails regarding your application’s missing items. When everything has arrived, you will see a status in MyHPU confirming the completion of your application.

Please note: It is your responsibility to check on the status of your application and send us any missing materials.

Once we have reached a decision regarding your application, we will update your status in MyHPU and you will also receive their decision via mail. Any scholarship earned will be in your acceptance letter. Review our Dates & Deadlines to see when you should expect your decision.

Transfer Course Credit

High Point University makes every effort to transfer college credit that you have already earned. Courses completed at a regionally accredited college or university with a grade of C or better, which are similar to courses offered at HPU, will usually transfer. The HPU Office of the University Registrar will conduct a complete transfer credit evaluation with a full course transfer report once we have received an application for admission with all official college or university transcripts.

You may request an unofficial evaluation of credit prior to applying. Please email us your unofficial transcripts with grades. Include your name, email address, telephone number and intended major. Choice of major will affect how credits are utilized.

Community College Course Equivalencies

For those students who will transfer from a local North Carolina community college, please follow the link below to get a list of course equivalents. Please note that this is not a complete list and that there may be some courses for which you will earn credit that are not listed.

Community College Course Equivalencies


Financial aid is available to transfer students. If you intend to apply for need-based financial assistance, your financial aid materials are due at the time you submit your application for admission. Please use our Transfer Cost Calculator to estimate any scholarships or financial aid you may qualify for.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) serves as High Point University’s official application for need-based financial aid. To be considered for federal grants, low-interest student loans and federal work-study opportunities, you must file the FAFSA electronically by going to

The earliest date that you may file the FAFSA is October 1, 2017, and filing early is crucial as some program funds are limited. To ensure that we will receive your information, you must include our FAFSA school code of 002933.

Transfer Scholarships

Scholarships are determined by the information supplied in your application for admission and by the GPA earned at the time of admission. Please note, award amounts may vary based on information supplied in your application and the term with which you apply. While academic work completed at the college level is a more current indicator of a student’s potential success at High Point University, the Admissions Committee will also consider the high-school record and test scores for students with less than 30 hours of credit.

Please note:  A transfer student is defined as a student entering the institution for the first time, but known to have previously attended a post-secondary institution the fall semester after high school graduation and beyond.

To recognize the work of students who have demonstrated academic achievement at their previous institutions, High Point University offers merit based scholarships to select transfer students. In order to be considered for these scholarships, a minimum of 24 semester hours of transferable college-level credit must have been completed or be in the process of completion. These scholarships range from $3,000 to $8,000 and are renewable annually. There is no additional scholarship application.

Scholarship NameCollege GPA RangeAward Per Year
Transfer Achievement Scholarship3.6-4.0$10,000
Transfer Scholar3.3-3.5$7,000
Transfer Achievement Grant3.0-3.2$5,000

Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships

Students who have been selected as members of Phi Theta Kappa receive an additional $1,000 per year to attend High Point University.



The High Point Admissions Office is Located in Wrenn Hall.
One University Parkway
High Point, NC 27268

Tours are available 7 days a week. Please contact us to schedule your visit.
(800) 345-6993
(336) 841-9216
(336) 888-6382 (fax)
HPU Viewbook
Discover why HPU is an extraordinary learning environment!