HPU Student Interns With National Center For Learning Disabilities In Washington, D.C.

HIGH POINT, N.C., June 26, 2009 – Harris Walker, a rising junior at High Point University, is devoting his summer to public policy thanks to a challenging internship in Washington, D.C. Walker, who is majoring in strategic communication with a minor in political science, is working for the Public Policy division of the National Center for Learning Disabilities.

“While headquartered in New York, the organization has an office devoted strictly to public policy here in Washington, helping to push legislation that will benefit the learning disabled community,” Walker says. “While I’m here, I’m working a lot on monitoring what’s going on in Congress and I typically attend a few committee meetings a week on Capitol Hill, along with a number of meetings with different organizations in the field and meetings with actual congressmen and senators.”

One particular focus of his internship includes gaining support for reform of the No Child Left Behind Act, which will be up for reauthorization in spring 2010.

“We’re trying to get as much language in support of growth standards and special allowances for children with LDs as possible in the new bill,” Walker says.

He says this internship opportunity will certainly help him in his future career.

“I’m hoping to pursue a career in public policy and possibly campaign strategy, so this job is helping me to get that first step in the door into this world of politics and learn the skills necessary to succeed here,” Walker says. “It’s a very fast-paced environment, and my schedule changes by the minute. But now that I’m adjusted to it, I love it. I know that this is definitely where I want to be after I graduate.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in a fun environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 50 countries and more than 40 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” The university offers 66 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at www.highpoint.edu. Chris DudleyVice President for Administration336-841-4530cdudley@highpoint.edu