HPU Senior Gains Medical Experience During Summer Internship At WFU School Of Medicine

09.29.2009

HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 29 2009 ? Derek Huffstetler, a senior biology major at High Point University, spent his summer learning about cardiovascular sciences as part of an internship at Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

Huffstetler, a native of Kannapolis who was nominated for the Jean Hardin Medical Scholarship, interned in the Excellence in Cardiovascular Sciences program. The internship helped Huffstetler gain a better understanding of biomedical research.

“The kind of precision and accuracy needed to do biomedical research surpassed my wildest dreams,” Huffstetler says. “It became clear to me that the Principal Investigators at Wake Forest University School of Medicine are very dedicated to doing research the right way by collecting credible data. Not only did the internship open my eyes to biomedical research, but I experienced the kind of pressure many medical doctors experience on a day-to-day basis.”

Huffstetler’s Principal Investigator, who teaches medical students at WFU Medical School, tested him daily to see if he had the skills needed to become a doctor.

“He would quiz me on details of papers and required me to repeat experiments over and over again until he was satisfied with my performance,” Huffstetler says. “All in all, he said he was treating me the same way in which he treats medical students in order to prepare them for a career in medicine.?

At the end of the internship, he presented a poster of his research, titled “The Effects of Growth Hormone and Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 on the Cerebral Arteries of Aged Rats.”

“I was praised by my Principal Investigator for having successfully accomplished significant goals of my project,” Huffstetler says.

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in a fun environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with 3,700 undergraduate and graduate students from 50 countries and 44 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among ?America?s Best Colleges.? HPU was included in The Chronicle of Higher Education?s ?Great Colleges to Work For? 2009 listings. The university offers 68 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at www.highpoint.edu.

Chris DudleyVice President for Administration336-841-4530cdudley@highpoint.edu

08

22

Etgar Keret
    HPU to Host Israeli Author Keret
    High Point University Professor Lisa Carnell
    Professor Is Program Co-Chair for Upcoming Math Conference
    Shannon Curley
    HPU Senior Interns, Creates a Future at Hasbro