HPU Senior Gains Valuable Experience During Summer Internship

09.4.2009

HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 4, 2009 – Brittany Overman, a senior at High Point University, spent her summer helping racecar drivers stay on the track – she interned with the Department of Human Performance at Richard Childress Racing in Welcome, N.C.

Overman, a Snow Camp native majoring in athletic training, worked under the supervision of athletic trainer and HPU alumnus Shane Picha. 

Her internship role included assisting in creating and providing injury prevention programs, injury management and rehabilitative protocols to pit crew members.

“I helped evaluate and treat injuries that the pit crew teams acquired,” Overman says. “I participated in the rehabilitation of several athletes from surgeries, and I also taught the athletes techniques to prevent injuries.”

She says the most exciting part of her internship was traveling with the race teams to the Coca Cola 500 in Daytona.

“Our Nationwide Series driver, Clint Bowyer, won the race,” Overman says. “I was able to watch the race from the pits and go to Victory Lane with the team to celebrate. It was a moment I’ll never forget.”

Overman says her classes at HPU helped immensely during the internship.

“I surprised myself with how much I actually knew and could apply that my internship,” Overman says. “My professors played an important role in helping me to acquire this internship, and what I have learned from these professors the past three years helped me to be successful in my time there.”

She says the experience truly helped her gain valuable career experience.

“This has been a great hands-on opportunity for me,” Overman says. “I am very fortunate to have been able to work with a sport with which I normally wouldn’t gain any experience in a college setting. It was an experience like no other, and I have gained so much confidence in myself from this internship.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in a fun environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with 3,700 undergraduate and graduate students from 50 countries and 44 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” HPU was included in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” 2009 listings. The university offers 68 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at www.highpoint.edu. Chris DudleyVice President for Administration336-841-4530cdudley@highpoint.edu

08

22

HPU students Taylor Agapite and Jessie Hull hand out candy to trick-or-treaters from the Boys and Girls Club of Greater High Point.
HPU Students Host Trick-or-Treating Event for Local Children
Chander Whicker WBTV
Senior Interns With WBTV 3 News
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: NC Voters See Economy, Bipartisanship as Key Issues in NC Senate Race