HPU Student Visits Cuba As Part Of Missions Trip

Posted on October 16, 2009.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 16, 2009 ? Katie Mulig, a psychology major at High Point University, from Hartville, Ohio, recently had the opportunity to do mission work in Cuba.

Mulig, who has been involved in HPU’s Alternative Break program and has attended other mission trips in the United States, says she found out about the opportunity to go to Cuba through Max Kern, who has led many of the HPU Alternative Break trips.

Mulig says the trip was incredibly special to her.

“I’ve always had a desire to go to Cuba, and that’s primarily what attracted me in the first place,” she says. “With my involvement in the Alternative Break program here at school, I’ve also become very interested in construction. I’ve seen first-hand what a difference something like sheetrock or a new roof can make in someone’s life.”

In fact, Mulig’s trip to Cuba was a building trip, so she was excited to have the opportunity to help people in a foreign country in such a tremendous way.

“We worked at the Methodist camp in Cuba, called ‘Camp Canaan,'” Mulig says. “Because Cuba’s government is socialist, the citizens don’t own the land. When pastors there retire, they have nowhere to go. … An apartment building has been built at the camp that serves as a retirement home for the pastors after they retire. We worked on priming and painting the upper level of the building.”

Mulig says the trip was life changing and truly made her appreciate her life in the U.S.

“I was able to reflect on what I have, and the luxuries that I enjoy that I take for granted,” Mulig says. “I was also able to very clearly see the personal freedoms I have that the Cuban citizens do not. … The thing that I enjoy most about helping others is the fact that I’m able to interact and work closely with them.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in a fun environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with 3,700 undergraduate and graduate students from 50 countries and 44 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” HPU was included in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” 2009 listings. The university offers 68 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at www.highpoint.edu. Chris DudleyVice President for Administration336-841-4530cdudley@highpoint.edu

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community