HPU Student Body President Earns Leadership Credentials

Posted on November 2, 2009.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 30, 2009 ? Andrew Realon, a junior majoring in human relations with minors in communication and religion at High Point University, was recently awarded the status of “Certified Student Leader” thanks to his participation in the National Conference on Student Leadership, held in Los Angeles.

Realon, who currently serves as the president in the Student Government Association, was one of 50 students to earn this award by scoring high on an examination of leadership skills. The exam tested him on skills necessary for the effective leadership of student organizations, including running effective meetings, resolving conflicts, creating an inclusive and diverse environment and launching successful publicity and promotional campaigns.

“I went to the conference on behalf of the university to receive the CSL certification,” Realon says. “To me, it means that I have gained contemporary knowledge about how to be an effective and efficient leader on a college campus. ? I’m excited to bring these leadership tools back to HPU. SGA is about to launch a student campaign for the United Way, and I will be able to immediately apply the information I learned.”

Realon, a native of Raleigh who also serves as president of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity and captain of the University Ambassador program, says he never imagined becoming president of SGA when he arrived on campus as a freshman.

“What I did know is that I wanted to take advantage of all the opportunities HPU offers students to get involved,” Realon says. “One thing has led to another, and with time management, an initiative to do more and a desire to try new things, I feel that I have been successful. ? High Point offers amazing opportunities for students who are prepared to do more. I cannot wait to study abroad in Ireland in May 2010. I was exhilarated to go on the NYSE trip with fellow students and administrators. I am planning to return to the National Conference for Student Leaders and take a team of students to receive the CSL certification.”

Realon has plans to attend law school upon graduation.

The National Conference on Student Leadership, which has existed since 1978, has helped student leaders enhance their leadership and organizational management skills so they can have a positive impact on their campuses.

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in a fun environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with 3,700 undergraduate and graduate students from 50 countries and 44 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” HPU was included in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” 2009 listings. The university offers 68 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at www.highpoint.edu.

Chris DudleyVice President for Administration336-841-4530cdudley@highpoint.edu

Empathy Dinner 1
Fraternity Hosts Empathy Dinner
Mariyah Sultan
HPU Sechrest Gallery to Feature Mariyah Sultan
christmas gift
An Unscripted Gift: By Dr. Joseph Blosser