HPU Student Named Gates Millennium Scholar

01.22.2010

HIGH POINT, N.C., Jan. 22, 2010 ? High Point University sophomore Erin Lonon knows how life-changing scholarships are ? especially since she was named a Gates Millennium Scholar, a prestigious and very competitive scholarship.

Lonon, a native of Cumberland, Va., who is majoring in exercise science, says the renewable scholarship pays her entire college tuition. Naturally, it opened up a lot of doors for her.

“It truly changed my life,” Lonon says. “When looking at different colleges, I didn’t know exactly where I wanted to attend. When I visited High Point University, I knew this was my first choice.”

She made the decision to begin applying for scholarships, with the hopes of becoming a student at HPU.

“The scholarship process for the Gates Millennium was very vigorous,” Lonon says. “I was up against 13,000 other applicants. There were a lot of essays and short answers, and it took me quite a long time to complete. When I heard that I received the scholarship, I was in complete shock. At first, I didn’t really know what the scholarship meant. Then I realized that I could go to any school ? and for me, that was HPU.”

Since enrolling at HPU, Lonon has remained on the dean’s list while being actively involved in campus, including being a member of the Division I Track & Field Team, as well as serving as president of the Black Cultural Awareness Organization.

Upon graduation, Lonon plans to attend graduate school for physical therapy.

The GMS program has provided more than $500 million in scholarships, and with the support of the GMS Leadership Development Program, the scholars have achieved a 90 percent graduation rate.

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with 3,700 undergraduate and graduate students from 50 countries and 44 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among ?America?s Best Colleges.? HPU was included in The Chronicle of Higher Education?s ?Great Colleges to Work For? 2009 listings. The university offers 68 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at http://www.highpoint.edu/ or on Twitter at @HighPointU.

Chris DudleyVice President for Administration336-841-4530cdudley@highpoint.edu

08

22

HPU students Taylor Agapite and Jessie Hull hand out candy to trick-or-treaters from the Boys and Girls Club of Greater High Point.
HPU Students Host Trick-or-Treating Event for Local Children
Chander Whicker WBTV
Senior Interns With WBTV 3 News
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: NC Voters See Economy, Bipartisanship as Key Issues in NC Senate Race