HPU Rising Junior Gets Field Experience Interning At Washington Nationals Baseball Team

06.29.2010

HIGH POINT, N.C., June 29, 2010 ? Stephanie Zok, a rising junior at High Point University, is getting some career experience on the field – the baseball field, that is. She?s serving as an intern for the Washington Nationals baseball team.

Zok, who is majoring in business administration with a minor in sport management, is serving as an intern in ticket operations for the team.

“I’ve had to learn and use the ticket program for season ticketholders and help setup for game days,” Zok says.

Zok has also helped in moving the lines more efficiently in an effort to keep the fans happy – such as pointing fans in the right direction for different types of tickets.

She says the experience has really helped her understand the behind-the-scenes work that goes on at major league baseball games – everything from the setup of games, ticket operations and everything that leads up to each and every game.

“I have learned the importance of customer service,” Zok says. “A satisfied fan means they are very likely to come back to the stadium for another baseball game. “The fans are truly the people who control the success of the franchise and keep the team successful in the league. The fact that I get to interact with fans every single day is a fantastic part of my internship. I love being able to talk to all sorts of different people who visit the park – it really goes to show that sports can bring all different types of people together.

She says all of the different experiences in her internship will really make an impact on her future career.

“No matter how sore my knees or feet are after a game, I always look forward to the next game,” Zok says. “That said, it has reaffirmed how much I would like to work in and around sports. If I can get that game-day rush like I do at ‘Natstown’ with a career in sports, I will consider it a great success.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with 3,700 undergraduate and graduate students from 50 countries and 46 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” HPU was included in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” 2009 listings. The university offers 68 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at http://www.highpoint.edu/ or on Twitter at http://twitter.com/highpointu.

Chris Dudley

Vice President for Administration

336-841-4530 cdudley@highpoint.edu

Sep
      20

13

Lane Anderson
    HPU to Host Authors for Discussion on Leadership
    roberts icon
    HPU to Test Sirens, Emergency Preparedness System
    Cara Kramer and Madison Jordan
    Student Learns the Ropes at Broadway Production Office