HPU Rising Sophomore Gains On-The-Job Experience With Summer Internship.

08.12.2010

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 12, 2010 ? Tyler McCoy, a rising sophomore at High Point University, has spent her summer learning valuable career skills in an internship with The Beverly Hilton hotel, in Beverly Hills, Calif.

As part of her internship, McCoy has helped plan and serve at events, as well as build a network of contacts in the event-planning industry. McCoy, who is a double major in business finance and strategic communication, plans on pursuing a career in event planning, where she can utilize her creative skills.

“My internship in The Beverly Hilton’s Event Services Department has given me the opportunity to see just how fast paced the event-planning environment is,” says McCoy. “I’ve gained real world knowledge through my hands-on experience in preparing and serving as on-site help during events held at the hotel.”

McCoy says that her favorite part of her internship has been assisting with “press junkets” for newly released movies, where she was able to see celebrities such as Leonardo DiCaprio and Paul Rudd.

“I don’t see how this internship couldn’t help my career,” says McCoy. “I’ve made contacts, obtained behind-the-scenes knowledge of the events industry, and with this internship on my resume, I have set myself up for the future. It?s not all fluff and decorations ? there’s a ton more to it.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 51 countries and 46 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report No. 5 among comprehensive universities in the South and No. 1 in its category among up-and-coming schools. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 6 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” The university offers 50 undergraduate majors, 42 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at http://www.highpoint.edu/.

Chris Dudley

Vice President for Administration

336-841-4530 cdudley@highpoint.edu

08

22

Psychology, HPU, Relationship Research, Sadie Leder
    Professor Authors Chapter in New Book for Aspiring Psychology Professors
    Sharon Love
    HPU to Host Mother of Slain UVA Student for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
    Junior Michelle Palombi informs buyers about products at Designmaster Furniture during the fall High Point Market.
    Industry Exposé: Students Work at High Point Market