HPU Professor of English Elected President of International Organization

jc_large

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 18, 2010 – Dr. Jim Casey, assistant professor of English at High Point University, was recently elected president of the International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts.

The IAFA is one of the largest, most influential scholarly organizations in the world devoted to the study of the fantastic as it appears in literature, film, television, video games and other arts. The organization promotes and recognizes achievement in the study of the fantastic through an annual academic conference, now in its 32nd year, as well as the publication of the “Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts,” a peer-reviewed journal for scholarship within the field.

“I am honored to be leading this organization,” Casey says. “My own scholarly work usually focuses on Shakespeare and other early modern and medieval writers. I love what I do, but I am acutely aware of the distance between me and my subject. For the IAFA, our annual conference creates a unique community of scholars, editors, artists, and authors. I have had the wonderful, albeit unsettling experience of reading a scholarly paper with the author of the work in question sitting in the audience.”

Guests of honor at the conference have included Isaac Bashevis Singer, John Barth, Tom Stoppard, Harlan Ellison, Stephen King, Brian Aldiss, Stephen R. Donaldson, Peter S. Beagle, Doris Lessing, Phillip Jose Farmer, Ursula K. LeGuin, Roger Zelazny, Joe Haldeman, Greg Bear, Peter Straub, Octavia Butler, John Crowley, Charles Vess, Guy Gavriel Kay and Nalo Hopkinson.

With his election, Casey becomes the youngest president in the history of the organization.

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 51 countries and 46 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report at No. 3 among Regional Colleges in the South. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 7 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” Parade Magazine lists HPU in the top 25 private schools in the nation. The university offers 50 undergraduate majors, 42 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at http://www.highpoint.edu.

Chris Dudley

Vice President for Administration

336-841-4530

cdudley@highpoint.edu