HPU Counselor Finds Long-lasting Match In Big Brothers Big Sisters Of Forsyth County, Receives Honor

Posted on December 7, 2010.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Dec. 7, 2010 ? Annette Jones, substance educator and clinical counselor at High Point University, recently received an award from Big Brothers Big Sisters of Forsyth County for having the longest match with her Little Sister.

Thanks to that long-lasting match, Jones will be featured in a special interview on WXII-12 (the local NBC affiliate) on the 5 p.m. news on Tuesday, Dec. 7.

“My Little Sister was 9 years old when we were first matched, and she is 16 now,” Jones says.

The impact of being a part of the organization has truly been amazing. Some of the events she’s been involved in with her Little Sister over the years include: training and completing the Mistletoe 5K, and participating – and winning ? a Christmas sugar cookie bake-off at HPU. Jones has also taken her Little Sister to visit her family, to the Dixie Classic Fair, they make yearly trips to Tanglewood, they go swimming, attend sporting events and more. Jones says their favorite time includes making dinner and cookies at her house and watching movies.

“I started out just wanting to make a positive difference in the life of a child by being a weekly mentor,” Jones says. “I never imagined that it would last this long. My Little Sister has such a special place in my heart; I have seen her grown from a curious child to a poised intelligent young lady. She impacts me each time I see her through her youthful spirit and energy. ? I believe that people come into your life for a reason, and I think our bond is a relationship that will last a lifetime.”

More than 200 faculty, staff and students at HPU volunteer with the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 51 countries and 46 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report at No. 3 among Regional Colleges in the South. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 7 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” Parade Magazine lists HPU in the top 25 private schools in the nation. The university offers 50 undergraduate majors, 42 undergraduate minors and seven graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at highpoint.edu. 

Chris Dudley

Vice President for Administration

336-841-4530 cdudley@highpoint.edu

Mar
    16
    3.16

Regular Decision Deadline
    Apr
    02

Spring Open House

Montlieu Academy of Technology kindergartner Hezekiah shows off the ornament he and his book buddy, High Point University student Campbell Stewart, created for the HPU School of Education Festival Tree.
HPU Book Buddies Celebrate the Holidays
Winter Band Concert
Ensembles to Perform Winter Band Concert
Sarah Patterson
Student Studies Stereotypes of Women in 17th Century Literature