Student Exercises Marketing Skills At One Of Top 10 Gyms In America

Posted on June 15, 2011.

HIGH POINT, N.C., June 15, 2011 – Carlee Pett, a rising senior at HPU majoring in strategic communication, is spending the summer interning at one of the top 10 gyms in America – Fitness Quest 10 in San Diego, Calif.

Pett is serving as the only marketing intern at FQ10 this summer under their director of marketing. Pett manages owner Todd Durkin’s Facebook page, as well as editing and reviewing all of the outlets of social media the company uses. She also has various responsibilities, such as creating playlists, writing newsletters and news releases, publishing testimonials, graphic design work, including fliers, coupons and advertisements, and filming and editing for online advertising.

Pett says she is already utilizing skills learned at HPU.

“Everything that I’ve learned in my strategic communication classes is really paying off,” she says. “I learned how to write many different types of public relations collateral, and the director of marketing was very impressed.”

FQ10 boasts clients such as NFL athletes Drew Brees, Charles Tillman, Gerald McCoy, “So You Think You Can Dance” judge and ballroom expert Mary Murphy, as well as many others.

“I am thankful to have such knowledgeable professors at HPU,” Pett says. “Without these classes, I would not have been able to be so successful in creating public relations materials for the gym. … I am excited for all that my internship has in store for me. I am having a wonderful experience, and I can’t wait to see what lies ahead.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people.℠ HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 51 countries and 46 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report at No. 3 among Regional Colleges in the South. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 7 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” Parade Magazine lists HPU in the top 25 private schools in the nation. The university offers 50 undergraduate majors, 43 undergraduate minors and 14 graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at highpoint.edu.

# # #
Pam Haynes

Communication Specialist

336-841-9055

phaynes@highpoint.edu

Lessons and Carols
HPU Invites Community to Annual ‘Lessons and Carols’ Candlelight Ser…
November Extraordinary Leaders
November’s Extraordinary Leaders Go the Extra Mile
Mollie McKinley
Sophomore Receives Prestigious Grant