Coffield Joins Biology Department

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 6, 2011 – Dr. Vernon M. Coffield recently joined High Point University as a visiting assistant professor of biology.

Coffield, who recently moved from Raleigh, will be responsible for both teaching classes and mentoring students participating in the biology department’s senior seminar.

“My goal is to meld my unique research experiences and perspectives into the rapidly growing science curriculum at HPU,” Coffield says. “I’m confident that, as our science facilities continue to expand, I’ll be able to offer students the opportunity to pursue cutting edge research projects involving mammalian development, immunology, and virology.”

Coffield has spent the past 12 years studying how the human immune system develops and responds to viral infection. He also has extensive experience in the field of hematopoietic stem cell biology and transplantation.

“I am very excited about the opportunity to join HPU,” says Coffield. “I look forward to offering students the chance to learn from my experiences as an industry scientist.”

Coffield holds a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a Doctorate of Philosophy in Genetics from UNC-Chapel Hill. He also conducted research as a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Cell Biology at Duke University and as a postdoctoral scientist in the Infectious Disease group at GlaxoSmithKline.

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people.℠ HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 51 countries and 46 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report at No. 3 among Regional Colleges in the South. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 7 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” Parade Magazine lists HPU in the top 25 private schools in the nation. HPU was selected in the 2010-2011 list of “Colleges of Distinction,” as well as one of the top green schools in the country by the Sierra Club. The university offers 50 undergraduate majors, 43 undergraduate minors and 10 graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at highpoint.edu.

# # #
Pam Haynes

Communication Specialist

336-841-9055

phaynes@highpoint.edu