HPU Students Selected as WithIt Scholars

10.5.2012

High Point University's 2012 WithIt ScholarsHigh Point University's 2012 WithIt ScholarHIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 5, 2012 – Two High Point University interior design students, Erica Lang and Kristine Edwards, have been selected as WithIt (Women in the Home Industry Today) Scholars. This is the second year in a rowthat HPU students have been selected.

WithIt’s mission is to encourage and develop leadership, mentoring, education and networking opportunities for professional women in the home and furnishings industries.

Dr. Elizabeth Dull, associate professor of interior design, and Dr. Richard Bennington, Paul Broyhill professor of home furnishings, nominated Lang and Edwards, both seniors, for their interest in the home furnishings industry as well as their abilities in the classroom.

“In my home furnishings merchandising classes Elizabeth and Kristine showed themselves to be students who were willing to go to extra efforts to grasp the subjects,” says Bennington. “Both have friendly outgoing personalities and will do well asprofessionals in the industry.”

The WithIt scholarships allowed Lang and Edwards to attend a professional conference in August and provide one year memberships to WithIt. The benefits of the scholarship go beyond just that, however. The networking opportunities Lang and Edwards have access to will benefit them when searching for full-time employment after graduation.

Victoria Valentinas, last year’s scholar, used her WithIt connections to land a job with Bassett Furniture Industries and HGTV Home Furniture and this year’s scholars hope the connections will help them too.

“WithIt is an amazing way to connect with other people who are involved in interior design and home furnishings,” says Lang. “It can help me land an internship or a job when I graduate and stay connected to wonderful people. The conferences are very motivational and taught me a lot about starting out in the professional world. I now know what steps to take to better promote myself when applying for jobs.”

“Attending the WithIt conference was an amazing experience, I am honored that I was invited into an organization with such motivating, and inspirational women,” says Edwards. “The conference provided me with resources that I can use now, like building the perfect resume, as well as information and contacts that will help in the near future when I’m looking for internships and jobs.”

08

22

Anne Davey NC Republican Party
Junior Interns with NC Republican Party
Briayna Cuffie at GCDP
Students Gain Experience at Guilford County Democratic Party
Pre-Law students at supreme court
Students Attend, Learn From Supreme Court Hearing