Students Chop Off Their Hair to Benefit Cancer Patients

04.23.2013
HPU High Point University Cuts for Cancer

Students prepare to donate their hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 23, 2013 – It’s a sight to see – a dozen High Point University students lined up, waiting for their hair to be chopped off. The students donated at least eight inches of their hair on April 22 during the Cuts for Cancer event on campus. Their hair will go directly to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, which makes real hair wigs for cancer patients who can’t afford them.

“When you hear those scissors slicing through your hair and that first pony tail is cut off, your head becomes lighter and at that moment,

Gary Liang shows off his hair donation.

you understand you are making a difference that can be seen,” said organizer Emily Dunn, who donated her hair at the event last year.

“You’re directly changing one cancer patient’s life in a way that cannot be explained.”

Gary Liang was the only male to donate his hair to the cause. He says that is one reason he did it.

“I am blessed to be a part of the High Point community, and I want to give back to this wonderful community,” said Liang. “I also want to encourage all the men out there to show that not only women can donate their hair. We men can also make an impact.”

Wade Rothrock hands Leah Villarreal her donated locks.

“I donated my hair because I was fortunate to have hair long enough to make a difference in someone else’s life,” said Kelly McEvoy. “I also donated my hair in honor of my cousin Casey who underwent chemotherapy and lost her hair during her senior year of high school. She remained bald through her freshman year of college. She has been an inspiration to me to help anyone I can who is affected by cancer. I know my donation will help boost the confidence of a girl out there who is going through a difficult time.”

During the event, the students heard from junior and cancer survivor Alexa Crawford. Crawford was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when she was 16-years-old, overcame the disease and thanked participants for their donation.

After the ponytails were cut, students received free haircuts and styles from Avanti Salon and Spa.

13

08

WindSync
    HPU to Host Community Concert by WindSync Quintet
    Bob Rathbun
    Sportscaster Bob Rathbun to Visit HPU
    Broyhill at HPU 1
    Senator James Broyhill Shares Stories of Capitol Building