Business Management Graduate Joins Phoenix Suns’ Sales Team

05.23.2013

HPU High Point University“Never give up on something you can’t go a day without thinking about.”

Danielle Page first heard that quote from Michael Jordan, and it’s what helped her land a position with the Phoenix Suns over a number of other job offers before she graduated on May 4.

“I can’t go a day without thinking about basketball,” says Page. “I’m not nervous about this major job opportunity at all because it’s a dream come true.”

Page was the top recruit at the 2013 Sports Sales Combine in Pittsburgh, and one of four HPU students who received job offers at the end of the weekend. The Combine hosts 30 students from around the country for a two-day sales training and mentoring event that ends with interview sessions with sales managers from the NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL.

She graduated in May with a major in business management and a leadership minor. She says her experiences at HPU helped to set her up for success.

“My leadership classes inspired me to take the initiative to become the Sports Management Association (SMA) president,” says Page. “I also had great professors who helped me when I was struggling and took extra time to work with me when I needed them.”

“My sorority sister, Juliana Furey, also really mentored and supported me pursuing my dream,” says Page. “She got a job with the New York Yankees last year, and proved to me that a job with the NBA wasn’t out of my reach.”
Page says Dr. Jim Wehrley, associate professor of business, also helped her after she received three job offers from professional teams at the conference.

“It was a good problem to have, but it was stressful,” says Page. “Dr. Wehrley really helped me step back and look at the bigger picture so I could make the right decision for me.”

Page chose the New Business Sales Consultant position with the Phoenix Suns, where she will increase the team ticket plans and share her love of the sport with the world.

“I’m going to get to talk about basketball all day,” says Page with a huge smile on her face. “I can’t wait to start.”

Sep
      20

13

Piedmont Paint-Out
    HPU to Participate in ‘Piedmont Plein Air Paint Out’
    StephenLillie_BJs
    A Package Deal: HPU Senior Gets Corporate Career Experience at BJ’s Wholesale
    Candice Burrows
    Faculty Voice Recital To Be Held At HPU