Rising Senior Teaching in the Czech Republic

05.30.2013
Eugenia

Eugenia Copeland outside the Beskydy Mountain Academy in the Czech Republic.

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 30, 2013 – Teaching students in the Czech Republic is an experience Eugenia Copeland never would have imagined doing, until now. The rising senior is interning at the Beskydy Mountain Academy, a four-year university preparatory school.

As part of the internship, Copeland – a music major – is working with students, helping them practice their English and putting together music lesson plans. She’s also learning about the country and how the educational system differs from the U.S. system.

“Down the road, I see myself teaching music to either middle school or high school students,” says Copeland. “This internship also prepares me for my future of living and working abroad. I will have to learn about new cultures and be able to adapt in order to live there.”

Copeland says she wouldn’t have taken on this opportunity if it weren’t for her experiences at HPU, crediting faculty members who always challenge her to do more.

“Dr. Marc Foster, the chair of the music department, has spent time beyond the classroom building my confidence as a capable young woman. He has pushed me to not give up on my dreams,” says Copeland. “With his support and the other HPU music department faculty, like Dr. Candi Burrows, I knew I could take on this internship and prevail.”

Copeland found this internship by networking while studying abroad this past year. You can read more about that and Copeland’s experiences in the Czech Republic on HPU’s Summer Internship Blog: http://www.highpoint.edu/internshipblog/.

08

22

Junior Michelle Palombi informs buyers about products at Designmaster Furniture during the fall High Point Market.
    Industry Exposé: HPU Students Work at High Point Market
    Greensboro Symphony at HPU
    Greensboro Symphony to Present Beethoven’s “Eroica” at HPU
    James Tasca - Alex's Lemonade Stand
    Senior Competes in Triathlon for Cancer Research