Sophomore Spends Summer Interning on Capitol Hill

06.26.2013
Adams with U.S. Rep. Daniel Webster.

Adams with U.S. Rep. Daniel Webster.

HIGH POINT, N.C., June 26, 2013 – An inside look at how the government really works – that’s what High Point University rising sophomore Carter Adams is getting at his summer internship. The political science major was chosen to work in U.S. Rep. Daniel Webster’s Washington D.C. office for the summer.

Carter Adams & John Boehner

Adams with House Speaker John Boehner.

Adams works directly with the representative’s constituents, giving tours, answering questions and researching legislative issues for the congressman.

He says the internship has already opened up new opportunities for him, and in fact, has had the opportunity to meet Rep. Howard Coble and House Speaker John Boehner.

“This is an exciting place to be right now,” says Adams. “I’m getting experiences and networking opportunities I wouldn’t get anywhere else. I’m also gaining a practical insight into the legislative process.”

Adams says he believes his courses from HPU have already aided him at his internship.

“The classes I’ve taken have given me the practical skills like writing reports for the congressman, and the critical thinking skills to help me solve problems I face in the office,” Adams says.

Adams plans to pursue a career in state government or public office, and says this internship is the first step.

Sep
      20

13

Haley Ruehle
    Class of 2014 Profile: Haley Ruehle Teaches and Serves
    Kappa Sigma Academic Excellence
    Fraternity Recognized for Academic Excellence
    Nicolette Petrouleas
    Interior Design Major Gains International Experience at Indesign