Two Rising Seniors Receive Celia Moh Scholarships

Posted on June 17, 2013.
Catherine Ruvolo

Catherine Ruvolo

HIGH POINT, N.C., June 17, 2013 – Sarah Kakol and Catherine Ruvolo, both rising seniors at High Point University, have been named recipients of the prestigious Celia Moh Scholarship for the 2013-14 academic year. The scholarship covers full tuition, room, board, books and fees.

Kakol, a home furnishings major, and Ruvolo, an interior design major, were selected based on academic achievement in the field of home furnishings. The Celia Moh Scholarship was established in October 2001 by furniture industry entrepreneur Laurence Moh to honor his wife, Celia. The scholarship program, funded by Mr. Moh’s initial gift of $3 million, was established to provide full tuition scholarships for students whose academic endeavors would logically lead to careers in the home furnishings industry.

“I was truly honored and so thankful to be one of the recipients of the Celia Moh Scholarship,” says Ruvolo. “Each member of the HPU School of Art and Design, including professors and fellow students, has supported me for the past three academic years at HPU. This scholarship has given me the ability to pursue my passion and future goals in the design and visual art field.”

Sarah Kakol

Sarah Kakol

“I was overcome with joy, gratefulness and honor upon being named a recipient of this scholarship,” says Kakol. “I feel that this scholarship will be an additional motivation to continue to excel academically at HPU. My plans for the future are to bring growth to the home furnishings industry by being a part of the merchandising aspect of home furnishings. In addition, I plan to fulfill my career goals and one day have my own retail furniture boutique.”

The application process requires candidates to complete an extensive questionnaire, write a personal essay, obtain instructors’ recommendations and provide a college transcript illustrating exceptional academic achievement. A scholarship committee comprised of notable home furnishings industry executives selected Kakol and Ruvolo and five other students in the country. Eighty full scholarships have been awarded in the program’s 12-year existence.

For more information about the Celia Moh Scholarship program, please visit www.mohscholarship.org.

Monica Johnson
HPU Graduate Publishes Research on Apologies and Forgiveness
Freshman Student Success
Students Collect 256 Pounds of Food for Children in the Triad
HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas