Journalism Major Gains Broadcast Experience at DC-Based Radio Station

Savannah Simons WTOP

Savannah Simons WTOPHIGH POINT, N.C., July 24, 2013 – Savannah Simons, rising senior at High Point University and native of Potomac, Md., is gaining radio broadcast experience this summer as a news intern at WTOP, an all-news radio station in Washington, D.C.

As news intern at D.C.’s top news, weather and traffic radio station, Simons is getting professional experiences – including Savannah Sexperiencing the debut of a 6-month-old sloth bear cub at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park. She is also conducting phone interviews; assisting reporters, editors and writers; writing broadcast copy; recording and editing audio; and even conducting “man-on-street” interviews.

Simons, a communication major with a focus in journalism and a minor in political science, says her coursework at HPU has given her the resources and capability to maintain the expectations of WTOP.

“The various courses I have taken, such as copy editing and video production, have enabled me to take what I’ve learned in the classroom and apply it to the assignments I am given in the newsroom,” says Simons.

Simons says her experiences at WTOP are preparing her for a career in broadcast journalism.

“This is a very hands-on internship that expects assignments to be completed by tight deadlines,” says Simons. “I am working directly with reporters, editing pieces for on-air programming, interacting with people on the street to record their views and opinions, as well as utilizing the current tools and equipment used in newsrooms daily.”