Rising Senior Immerses into Spanish Language with Univision Internship

07.17.2013

Stacie SampsonHIGH POINT, N.C., July 17, 2013 – Spending a summer where a foreign language is spoken might be intimidating, but not for Stacie Sampson, a rising senior at High Point University. Sampson is interning at Univision, a Spanish-broadcasting network in her hometown of Washington, D.C.

Sampson, who is double majoring in media and popular culture communication and Spanish, is interning as a production assistant for the station. She helps find subjects to interview, tapes and documents speeches, edits daily clips and more. She’s also had the opportunity to work under Fernando Pizarro, the Washington Affiliates Correspondent for Univision.

Sampson has made use of her communication and Spanish background, noting that coursework she’s completed at HPU has helped her extensively.

“I’ve taken many Spanish courses, and those have served me well in understanding and translating the information from Spanish to English and vice versa,” Sampson says. “My communication courses have also assisted me greatly by arming me with the knowledge of how to edit clips, communicate effectively with members of congress and co-workers, as well as how to conduct myself during interviews.”

Sampson says she plans to work for a Spanish Network news or talk show, and the experience she is gaining is invaluable.

“I believe my internship with Univision this summer will impact my future and career goals by the in-depth and hands-on experience, the daily use of my Spanish and the networking,” says Sampson. “I believe this internship will allow me to excel in my future.”

Jun
      20
      6.20

Early Registration
      Jul
      14
      7.14

Early Registration

Pictured from left to right are Dr. Dennis Carroll, provost; award recipients Matt Jakubowski, Ashley Prindle, Jenny Silk and Tyler Steelman; and Gail Tuttle, vice president for Student Life.
    Students Recognized for Exceptional Commitment to Academics and Community at Honors Day
    General Colin Powell
    General Colin L. Powell to Give HPU’s 90th Commencement Address
    Relay 01
    HPU Raises Thousands for Cancer Research Through ‘Relay For Life’