Rising Senior Immerses into Spanish Language with Univision Internship

Posted on July 17, 2013.

Stacie SampsonHIGH POINT, N.C., July 17, 2013 – Spending a summer where a foreign language is spoken might be intimidating, but not for Stacie Sampson, a rising senior at High Point University. Sampson is interning at Univision, a Spanish-broadcasting network in her hometown of Washington, D.C.

Sampson, who is double majoring in media and popular culture communication and Spanish, is interning as a production assistant for the station. She helps find subjects to interview, tapes and documents speeches, edits daily clips and more. She’s also had the opportunity to work under Fernando Pizarro, the Washington Affiliates Correspondent for Univision.

Sampson has made use of her communication and Spanish background, noting that coursework she’s completed at HPU has helped her extensively.

“I’ve taken many Spanish courses, and those have served me well in understanding and translating the information from Spanish to English and vice versa,” Sampson says. “My communication courses have also assisted me greatly by arming me with the knowledge of how to edit clips, communicate effectively with members of congress and co-workers, as well as how to conduct myself during interviews.”

Sampson says she plans to work for a Spanish Network news or talk show, and the experience she is gaining is invaluable.

“I believe my internship with Univision this summer will impact my future and career goals by the in-depth and hands-on experience, the daily use of my Spanish and the networking,” says Sampson. “I believe this internship will allow me to excel in my future.”

HPU Percussion Ensemble
HPU Chamber Music Series Presents Percussion Plus
Clebe McClary
HPU to Host Vietnam War Hero
Rick Callicutt
Alumnus Rick Callicutt Leads Bank of NC