Freshman Creates Change in Her Community

Posted on August 20, 2013.

Brittany Vose HPU High Point UniversityHigh Point University freshman Brittany Vose doesn’t let anything stand in her way. When she realized there was a need in her community, she went out and fulfilled it, and she did it all to honor her father.

Vose lost her dad to pancreatic cancer when she was just five years old.

“He went into the hospital on my birthday, and he passed away just three weeks later. With pancreatic cancer, you just don’t know how fast you’ll lose someone,” explains Vose.

As she got older, Vose wanted to do more to raise awareness and find a cure for the disease that took her father. That’s when she realized there weren’t any pancreatic fundraisers in Connecticut.

“The closest walk we found was in Boston. I was surprised there wasn’t one in Hartford, because every other major city seemed to have one.”

Vose didn’t let that stop her. She contacted the organization in Boston and started her own annual walk in her hometown of Cromwell, Conn.

“2013 was our fourth year and we raised $40,000 dollars. That’s more than we’ve ever raised before.”

In those four years, Vose has raised more than $100,000 for pancreatic cancer research and plans to continue the walk even after she leaves for HPU.

Brittany with her dad.

Brittany with her dad.

While she’s here, Vose will major in psychology so she can continue to give back.

“When I lost my dad, I attended support groups, and that helped me so much, made me stronger and helped me become the person I am today,” explains Vose. “I can’t imagine myself doing anything else.”

Vose strongly believes HPU is the place that will allow her to achieve that dream.

“This will be a whole new experience. I am so thrilled with the school and excited to have a new adventure that will really shape my life for the future. Plus, purple is the color for pancreatic cancer. It must be fate.”

Mar
    16
    3.16

Regular Decision Deadline
    Apr
    02

Spring Open House

Montlieu Academy of Technology kindergartner Hezekiah shows off the ornament he and his book buddy, High Point University student Campbell Stewart, created for the HPU School of Education Festival Tree.
HPU Book Buddies Celebrate the Holidays
Winter Band Concert
Ensembles to Perform Winter Band Concert
Sarah Patterson
Student Studies Stereotypes of Women in 17th Century Literature