HPU Welcomes the Class of 2017

08.17.2013

HPU Move In Day Welcome Home

Rain couldn’t dampen the spirits during High Point University’s move-in day. The class of 2017 was welcomed with open arms and lots of cheering as they arrived on campus Saturday.

“We were made to feel welcome and at home when we arrived,” says mother Lauren Holton, a North Carolina native who drove her son Jacob to campus that morning. “It only took about three HPU Move In Day 1 2013minutes for the crew to unload the car. I was impressed with the whole process, but not surprised because we’re impressed every time we come here.”

Parents admit they were nervous at first when they saw the rain coming down, but those worries were quickly put out of their minds as they made it through a smooth, organized and successful move-in.

HPU students Nick Fisher and Sara Foster volunteer to unload the vehicle of a freshman and move items to their room.

The key to that success is the orientation crew, the pack of energetic students, faculty and staff who work all day to make move-in as smooth as possible.

“I loved the feeling I got moving in last year, and I wanted to be a part of it this year,” says Sophomore Alex Adams.

Some of the volunteers have a special connection to the freshmen they helped move in.

A student and member of orientation crew greets Diane Schofield, mother of a freshman.

“My sister is actually staying in the same room I lived in last year,” says sophomore Mary Schofield. “She visited me a lot last year when I was a freshman, so she pretty much knows the ropes.”

“We love High Point,” says Schofield’s mother Diane. “Move-in is so easy, the campus is beautiful and we love the president.”

This year, new technology and programs are available to students, including a tech lab with a 3D printer in the School of Art and Design, a new Department of Chemistry, a new Department of Physics and Astronomy and several new pieces of equipment in the Human Biomechanics and Physiology Laboratory.

Freshman Hasting Kofkin is majoring in exercise science and is particularly excited about the lab.

“We went to see the lab when we visited campus,” says Kofkin’s mother Deborah. “We were blown away. Everyone is so nice here, everything is so pristine; I want to go to school here!”

Still it’s an emotional day for parents and students as they prepare to move to the next step in their journey to success.

“Today is bittersweet,” says Christina Griffith, whose daughter Kayla moved in Saturday. “I’m excited and happy for her, but I’m going to miss her like crazy. Still, I know she is in a safe environment.”

To view pictures from the weekend click here: HPU Move-In Weekend and Convocation.

08

22

Anne Davey NC Republican Party
Junior Interns with NC Republican Party
Briayna Cuffie at GCDP
Students Gain Experience at Guilford County Democratic Party
Pre-Law students at supreme court
Students Attend, Learn From Supreme Court Hearing