Recent Graduate Selected to Teach English in Chongqing, China

Posted on August 15, 2013.

Ana ElliottHIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 15, 2013 – Ana Elliott, a native of High Point and 2013 graduate of High Point University, has been accepted to the CIEE Teach Abroad program to teach English as a second language at the Chongqing Vocational School in Chongqing, China.

She recently began teaching vocational college courses in the flourishing city and will continue through July 2014.

Elliott was part of the first cohort of students to graduate from HPU’s Mandarin Chinese minor program, in addition to majoring in international business. She says her father, who works in High Point’s furniture industry, spent much time traveling to China through his career and inspired her to want to work in the country as well.

Her professors at HPU, including Dr. Carol Head, chair of the Department of Modern Foreign Languages, and Judy Danley, instructor of Chinese, encouraged and helped her to apply to the CIEE program.

“Professor Danley and Dr. Head played a huge role in my growing interest in China,” says Elliott. “I had class with Mrs. Danley three times a week for four years. Since she is a native of the country, she really opened my eyes to the possibilities to live and work there.”

“Chinese languages are a growing group of languages that are becoming more important to know, especially in the business world,” adds Elliott. “I appreciated my professors pointing me toward a trustworthy program and preparing me for this for the last four years. After going through this program, I could be prepared to teach in a corporate setting. It is an amazing opportunity as Chongqing is one of the fastest growing cities in China.”

This photo features faculty and staff from the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication with gifts donated for five families from the Hattie Lee Burgess home.
Qubein School of Communication Provides Christmas for Five Families
Norcross Gaduate School
Norcross Graduate School to Host Open House
Empathy Dinner 1
Fraternity Hosts Empathy Dinner