Senior Interns with the USO of North Carolina

Posted on August 9, 2013.

Natassia SaquilanHIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 9, 2013 – High Point University senior Natassia Saquilan, from Southern Pines, N.C., is interning with the USO (United Service Organizations) of North Carolina, based out of Fort Bragg, this summer.

The human relations and sociology double major has spent her summer working on a number of outreach programs that support single soldiers, deploying and returning troops, military families, wounded warriors and gold star families.

“Every event is meaningful and fulfilling to be a part of,” says Saquilan. “Of course I love talking with the troops and their families and getting to know them, but I also couldn’t be happier with the staff and volunteers I’ve had the privilege to work with.”

Saquilan plans to work with military family support services when she graduates this spring, and this internship is a major step in that direction. She says one class in particular helped her stand out in the application process.

“In my public relations class last year, our ‘client’ for the entire year was the USO. In that class I had to write several news releases, media advisories, a brochure, a military family resource blog, and a newsletter,” says Saquilan. “Professor Phil Watson taught me the importance of formatting these publications in the most professional, concise, and timely way possible. When I was applying for my internship with the USO of NC I was able to show them my work from this class and they were very impressed and pleasantly surprised that I was already knowledgeable of most of the services and programs they offer.”

Mar
    16
    3.16

Regular Decision Deadline
    Apr
    02

Spring Open House

Sarah Patterson
Student Studies Stereotypes of Women in 17th Century Literature
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: Positive Ratings for Clintons and G. W. Bush in NC; Most Potential 201…
The Drowsy Chaperone
Theatre, Music Departments to Present “The Drowsy Chaperone”