Senior Interns with the USO of North Carolina

08.9.2013

Natassia SaquilanHIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 9, 2013 – High Point University senior Natassia Saquilan, from Southern Pines, N.C., is interning with the USO (United Service Organizations) of North Carolina, based out of Fort Bragg, this summer.

The human relations and sociology double major has spent her summer working on a number of outreach programs that support single soldiers, deploying and returning troops, military families, wounded warriors and gold star families.

“Every event is meaningful and fulfilling to be a part of,” says Saquilan. “Of course I love talking with the troops and their families and getting to know them, but I also couldn’t be happier with the staff and volunteers I’ve had the privilege to work with.”

Saquilan plans to work with military family support services when she graduates this spring, and this internship is a major step in that direction. She says one class in particular helped her stand out in the application process.

“In my public relations class last year, our ‘client’ for the entire year was the USO. In that class I had to write several news releases, media advisories, a brochure, a military family resource blog, and a newsletter,” says Saquilan. “Professor Phil Watson taught me the importance of formatting these publications in the most professional, concise, and timely way possible. When I was applying for my internship with the USO of NC I was able to show them my work from this class and they were very impressed and pleasantly surprised that I was already knowledgeable of most of the services and programs they offer.”

Sep
      20

13

Nicholas Bamatter
    Class of 2014 Profile: Nick Bamatter Commences Business Career
    High Point University student Lillian Bijl
    Student Revitalizes Philadelphia Community
    Chile Telescope 1
    Physics Students Study Stars at Chile Observatory