A Values-Based Education

09.24.2013

Alex NelsonHigh Point University teaches students how to live a life of success and significance, and they are lessons August’s Extraordinary Leader takes to heart.

Junior Alex Nelson says he chose to attend HPU for the values the university demonstrates and has thrived because of the opportunities, experiences and lessons HPU provides.

“Our professors believe that we are scholars because we bring something to the table, and as educators, they help draw out and refine what we already have,” says Nelson. “I am proud to tell people I attend college at High Point University because it is an institution making unique advancements in higher education while focusing on its students.”

Nelson doesn’t let any opportunity pass him by. He has been the Class of 2015 president since his freshman year, is a University Ambassador, Resident Assistant, Peer Mentor, member of the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication Student Advisory Board and has made the Dean’s List every semester. This summer, he landed a prestigious internship with Caterpillar, Inc. in Clayton, N.C. where he gained tremendous experience for his future career.

He also takes time to volunteer as much as he can through the Board of Stewards, and he has gone on six mission trips to Haiti.  Alex sends hand-written notes to members of his class encouraging them to continue caring for the community. Technology has become so embedded in life, and Alex says it’s good to receive a handwritten note sometimes and that it feels good to write them.

“I have gotten involved because I know it helps HPU, my fellow students and I. We’ve heard from Day One at HPU that to get the maximum out of our education, we should choose to get involved. Whatever I do on this campus, I do it with my heart because I know that anything is possible and the results are great when you put your heart into it.”

Whether he’s speaking publicly or through random acts of kindness, Nelson is a proud representative of HPU and its students. He says he is fortunate to attend such a university, because it has prepared him for success in his future career and, more importantly, it has prepared him for life beyond college.

“The opportunities I have been exposed to at HPU are many, and each one of them makes me a better-rounded, more professional individual. I work directly with administrators to initiate and fulfill tasks, and it is rare that students in college have exposure to the opportunities we have here. There is no doubt that when I graduate from HPU, I can tell my employer I know how to work with and relate to people at all levels of the company. High Point University has impacted me with an education, opportunities for involvement and has modeled the qualities of excellence and service, embedding them in me as a way of life. ”

Sep
      20

13

Marvin Blickenstaff
    HPU to Host Recital, Workshops by Pianist Marvin Blickenstaff
    Tory Crossen Teens for Jeans
    Freshman Finds Match for Her Caring Spirit at HPU
    TaraShea Nesbit
    HPU Welcomes Author TaraShea Nesbit With Grant Series