Junior Interns with World Relief to Help Refugees

Posted on September 18, 2013.

Briayna CuffieHIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 18, 2013 – Briayna Cuffie, a junior at High Point University and international relations and sociology double major, is helping to resettle refugees in the Triad this fall as the Case Management and Community Integration Intern for World Relief in High Point.

In the position, Cuffie will assist refugees and their families during their initial resettlement period and help pilot a new community integration program to develop a more sustainable community integration process.

“World Relief is the kind of organization I plan to work with in the future,” says Cuffie. “My position will allow me to learn everything I want about how an international nonprofit works, both at the local office level and how it relates to the effectiveness of what the organization is doing overall. My specific tasks in case management, as well as side projects and shadow days to learn advocacy, grant-writing and development, will give me experience that people will be looking for in applicants in my field.”

Cuffie says she has been encouraged by all of the support she’s received at HPU, particularly from Dr. Mark Setzler, chair of the political science department, and Mina Ouakrim, instructor of Arabic and French.

“Dr. Setzler believes that I will do extraordinary things; it is always encouraging to speak with him about my future whenever I go into his office to ask a question or get his perspective on an idea,” says Cuffie. “Mina is always vouching for my language skills. In the past two years of Arabic classes I had with her, there was nothing but reassurance that the Arabic skills I acquired in high school, as well as her class will lead to a high level of fluency.”

Cuffie says her language skills will be useful when working with refugee families.

Mar
    16
    3.16

Regular Decision Deadline
    Apr
    02

Spring Open House

Sarah Patterson
Student Studies Stereotypes of Women in 17th Century Literature
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: Positive Ratings for Clintons and G. W. Bush in NC; Most Potential 201…
The Drowsy Chaperone
Theatre, Music Departments to Present “The Drowsy Chaperone”