Love of Lacrosse Earns Freshman a Prestigious Scholarship

Posted on September 17, 2013.

DSC_1627Freshman Jianela Rincon is not only a great lacrosse player, but she’s using her love of the game to help others.

Rincon was named a 2013 North Carolina Horatio Alger Scholar, in part, for her work to implement lacrosse programs in Wilmington, N.C. middle schools.

“As part of the scholarship, we completed a community focused research project, and mine was on the lack of lacrosse programs in urban areas,” explains Rincon. “I decided to take it a step further and implement programs in my area so other athletes would have the opportunity to fall in love with the sport like I did.”

The Horatio Alger Association seeks to help students who demonstrate integrity, perseverance, strength of character, financial need, a good academic record, a commitment to a college education and the desire to contribute to society. Rincon was one of only 13 North Carolina students selected for the 2013 scholarship.

Rincon brings all of those qualities to HPU where she is majoring in exercise science and is a member of the Women’s Lacrosse team. She was captain and MVP of her high school team her senior year and played on North Carolina’s state team in the national tournament, where the team earned second place.

“I like the way sports challenge you. You work hard, and can actually see what you’ve been working towards when you practice. Extra work makes you better,” says Rincon.

It was the state team that first introduced Rincon to HPU.

“I came here for try-outs and fell in love with the campus,” she says. “I’m so excited to work with coach (Lyndsey) Boswell, to play with an experienced team and to play at a faster pace.”

Rincon is also excited to study exercise science so she can one day become a physical therapist.

“I’d like to stay in sports in some way, and help other athletes play to the best of their ability. HPU will help me get there.”

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community