Students Make a Difference During Fall Break

Posted on October 23, 2013.
Caitlin Kane puts a beaded necklace on one of the babies in a Guatemalan village.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 23, 2013 – From clearing hurricane debris to making sure people have warm food and clean water, High Point University students spent their fall break making life a little better for others.

Students organized two different trips to help students give back during their fall break. The first went to Guatemala where they installed stoves, water purifiers and gave out toys, shoes, clothes and medicines to families. Students say they also formed new friendships that will last a lifetime.

“After a long day of working in one of the villages, I had a chance to talk to a girl who worked in the ‘tienda’ (store) where we waited for the bus to take us back to our home base,” says Molly O’Keeffe. “She gave me her bracelet and a hug. I almost lost it. I asked if I could use a piece of paper and she hurried inside her house to grab a ripped piece of paper. I wrote my name, email, phone number, and thanks. She then grabbed a piece of paper and wrote ‘We love you so much because you have a good heart.’ She gave me her name and phone number and I know she will forever be my friend.”

Gary Liang clearing debris in Swan Quarter, N.C.

The second group cleared damage from Hurricane Irene in Swan Quarter, N.C.

“It was a lot of hard work and physical labor, but totally worth it,” said senior Monica Johnson. “I had a great time with my peers working together for a common goal – service.”

“It was truly a humbling and great experience,” added senior Rochelle Oloo.

A third alternative break trip to Mexico was organized by the co-ed service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. The group built a roof for one family, handed out needed supplies in neighborhoods and spent time with children at a Chuburna Puerto kindergarten.

Mar
    16
    3.16

Regular Decision Deadline
    Apr
    02

Spring Open House

Sarah Patterson
Student Studies Stereotypes of Women in 17th Century Literature
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: Positive Ratings for Clintons and G. W. Bush in NC; Most Potential 201…
The Drowsy Chaperone
Theatre, Music Departments to Present “The Drowsy Chaperone”