HPU Senior Receives Literary League Scholarship

Posted on November 4, 2013.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 1, 2013 – Alexandra Love, a High Point University senior and Charlotte native majoring in English with a concentration in writing, is the recipient of the 2013 High Point Literary League scholarship for exhibiting excellence and strength in writing.

Each fall, the High Point Literary League awards one female HPU student with the scholarship, valued at $2,000. The recipient is selected by faculty in the English Department on the basis of writing skill demonstrated in class and in published work, as well as their general contribution to the writing culture on campus.

Love was presented with the award at the league’s annual luncheon where New York Time’s Best Selling author Lisa See, author of “Snow Flower and the Secret Fan,” “Peony in Love” and “Shanghai Girls,” served as guest speaker. In addition to addressing the group, See joined Love for lunch to discuss and share excerpts from her novels.

“I am so humbled that this inspirational group of women found me deserving of this special award,” says Love. “The women of the High Point Literary League are doing phenomenal work in the lives of students, and their acts of kindness have certainly made a difference in my life.”

Love feels honored and grateful to her professors in the English Department for selecting her as the recipient, and for providing her with the education and encouragement that she will take with her past college.

“I am so profoundly touched that the influential men and women in the HPU English Department that have been my mentors for the past three years thought so highly to nominate me for this scholarship,” she notes.

Love joined 300 female members of the Literary League for the event, where her personal biography was shared with the group. Her parents were also in attendance, from whom Love says she has drawn her inspiration.

“Writing has been my dream since I was little,” says Love. “My parents are interior designers, and I remember spending countless hours in their work room lying across draperies and tables, daydreaming and writing the romantic images I had created in my head.”

Upon graduation, Love, a native of Charlotte, plans to pursue a career in fiction writing.

Empathy Dinner 1
Fraternity Hosts Empathy Dinner
Mariyah Sultan
HPU Sechrest Gallery to Feature Mariyah Sultan
christmas gift
An Unscripted Gift: By Dr. Joseph Blosser