Student Awarded Prestigious Scholarship to Study Abroad

Posted on December 11, 2013.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Dec. 11, 2013 – High Point University junior, and High Point native, Shelby Jones has received the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to study abroad in Russia next semester.

The scholarship, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, aims to diversify the students who study abroad and the regions they study in.

“When I saw that I was a recipient of the Gilman Scholarship I was truly ecstatic,” says Jones. “I am so excited to leave for Russia, and cannot wait to explore the country. Being a Gilman Scholar is certainly going to be a catalyst for my future. It will be great to say I was given such a prestigious award while applying for graduate schools.”

Jones is one of only 700 American undergraduates from 341 colleges and universities across the U.S. selected for the scholarship. The scholarship awarded her a total of $5,000 to study in Russia.

“We’re so excited for Shelby to receive this award,” says Heidi Fischer, director of Study Abroad at HPU. “She is the first High Point University student to receive the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship, and we are proud of her for taking the step to study in such a nontraditional location.”

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community