Professor Publishes Articles in Two Journals

Jacob Paul (2)

HIGH POINT, N.C., Jan. 8, 2014 – Dr. Jacob Paul, assistant professor of English at High Point University, recently had two articles published in scholarly journals, “Bending Genre” and “Fiction Writer’s Review.”

The first article, “Columbus Day: Mimesis in Thievery,” was published in “Bending Genre,” an academic magazine that features innovative creative nonfictions. The essay deals with questions of representation, and is also a personal essay about his sixth birthday.

The second article, “Slouching Past Totality; Or What a Post-postmodern Holocaust Novel Might Be,” was published in “Fiction Writers Review,” which deals exclusively with the craft of writing issues. The work deals with questions of representation, ethics, agency and what might come after Postmodernism.

According to Paul, actively writing furthers his ability as an instructor, and informs the way he teaches literature classes.

“Being an active practitioner of writing has allowed me to bring new ideas into the classroom, and specifically my creative nonfiction workshop class,” says Paul. “Working through problems in my own writing allows me to identify the root causes of student struggles in their writing, because I’m in touch with how that process works. If I wasn’t writing these kinds of articles and novels, I don’t believe I could teach creative writing effectively,” says Paul.

Paul has worked with “Fiction Writers Review” in the past, and says the publication gave his novel, “Sarah/Sara” a good deal of positive attention. He expects to write for them again in the future.