HPU Competes in First Mock Trial Tournament

Posted on February 25, 2014.
In: News

HIGH POINT, N.C., Feb. 25, 2014 – High Point University fielded its first-ever intercollegiate mock trial team at the North Carolina Regional Tournament of the American Mock Trial Association in Durham.

The team, composed of students Caroline Palmer, Norah Lawrence, Jonathan Grimmel, Austin Slutsky, Tyler Farley, Ashley Prindle, Steven Edwards and Richard Hartman, had to prepare a robbery case from both the defense and prosecution perspectives. Students also had to play the role of witnesses in the case and face questions from both sides.

“The mock trial competition provides students with the experience of being trial lawyers,” says Scott Ingram, assistant professor of criminal justice at HPU. “They prepare and present the case, and learn that there is much more to a trial than what they see on television and the movies. It also gives them the confidence to stand in front of strangers and make a strong argument for their position. They learn to present an argument clearly and concisely. They must also learn to think on their feet and deal with unexpected circumstances that always seem to arise during trial.”

“Being able to attend a mock trial competition gave me the opportunity to actually try a case, just as I would as an actual prosecutor,” says senior Ashley Prindle. “This experience will definitely help me as I attend law school next year. I already have an understanding of how to argue a case, ask questions of my witnesses, make effective opening and closing statements and most importantly, how to conduct myself in the courtroom.”

HPU’s team competed against teams from Duke University, Campbell University, Davidson College and Guilford College.

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community