February’s Extraordinary Leaders: Holistic Education in Action

Posted on March 17, 2014.

High Point University prides itself on providing a holistic education to all of its students by incorporating learning and experience in every aspect of a student’s life. February Extraordinary Leaders Jordan Cohen and Molly Phalen are just two examples of the outcome a holistic education can produce.

Cohen, a history major, will graduate from HPU in May and will begin work on his master’s degree in international relations and Middle Eastern studies, having already been accepted to Virginia Tech’s master degree program.

During his time at HPU, Cohen has been a model leader as vice president of Brotherhood in the Beta Theta Pi fraternity and co-founder of HPU’s Ethics Bowl Team, which just finished an undefeated season.  The Presidential Scholar says all of these experiences as well as three very special professors helped lead him to his future career.

“Dr. Larry Simpson, professor of history, had what was essentially unlimited office hours where I could discuss a variety of books and articles he loaned me,” says Cohen. “A second professor was Dr. Matthew Brophy, who was both my business ethics teacher and a coach on my ethics bowl team. Ethics Bowl has changed my viewpoint on a lot of business, communication, and biomedical issues as well as provided me an outlet to engage in competitive debate. Finally, my Arabic professor, Mina Ouakrim, helped me overcome my struggles in learning a foreign language. These three instructors, by teaching me material in unconventional and interesting ways, define ‘extraordinary education.’

Prior to attending this university I had no clue what I wanted to study. Following my time here, however, I know that I want to fuse my interest in the Middle East, economics, and ethics in order to influence U.S. global policy.”

Phalen, a strategic communication major, agrees the unlimited opportunities provided by HPU helped move her closer to achieving her career goals. The junior was recently inducted into the Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society, is currently serving as the president of the Peer Mentors, is a University Ambassador, a Student Justice and is the former Kappa Delta Sorority vice president of public relations.

She says an extraordinary education is one that doesn’t have any limits.

“With a campus that provides and opens so many doors, I have been blessed to step through many of those doors, all of which have given me incredible experiences and prepared me for the next chapter of my life,” says Phalen. “When I stop and look around at the place I now call home, I am constantly reminded of how fortunate and grateful I am to be here. With almost two and a half years completed, I know I will leave High Point University with the confidence and preparation necessary to succeed.”

Phalen plans to work in corporate affairs and communications after she graduates in 2015.

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community