March Extraordinary Leaders Make A Difference

Posted on March 28, 2014.

Academic excellence, meaningful relationships, and international experiences are just a few things that March’s Extraordinary Leaders share. Henry Molski and Lillian Bijl know firsthand the difference that getting involved and giving back can make.

Four years ago, Molski discovered High Point University. “What I found at this institution was that I was cared about,” Molski says. “Professors cared about what I wanted to do and staff cared about who I wanted to be. Students cared about each other. I knew then that if I attended High Point University, I would be in a place where I could truly succeed.”

Now a senior, Molski has become a decorated scholar. Throughout his four years he has held titles such as Presidential Scholar, Dean’s List recipient, Campus Chronicle sports editor, Pulitzer Center Consortium recipient, Pulliam Fellowship recipient and University Ambassador Captain, all of which have afforded him many opportunities “to give back to the university in ways that it has given back to me,” he says.

Beyond campus, Molski has interned with Creative Services public relations firm, as well as studied internationally. Molski spent a semester abroad at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland and presented his work with the school’s Pulitzer Center to the Scottish Independence Referendum. He will graduate in May with a journalism degree and will immediately begin the Pulliam Fellowship at the Arizona Republic as the program’s feature writer, considered one of the top learning opportunities in the industry. “It is my dream to continue to write at a professional level after I graduate, and I have no doubt that I will continue to have that opportunity thanks to all that High Point has given me,” says Molski.

Lillian Bijl, a junior, is making an impact on campus as well. An international relations major with minors in communication and Spanish, she also holds honors including Presidential Scholar, Deans List recipient and she is an Honors Scholar. She studied abroad at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland where she not only gained a global perspective, but also discovered the true value of a liberal arts education.

“As an HPU student, I have had incalculable experiences which have led me to a deeper understanding of not only myself, but of the world.”

Currently, Bijl serves as the Executive Secretary for the Student Government Association, Vice President of the Executive Council of the Odyssey Club and a University Ambassador – all of which give her the opportunity to build relationships both personally and professionally.

After graduation, Bijl plans to take a year to teach abroad before pursuing a master’s degree.  Bijl credits her success and growth to her time here at HPU.

“Every day, I am surrounded by motivated and passionate students who seek to grow and learn with all the humility of those who recognize how lucky we are to be HPU students. I am so humbled by the dedication of our professors and the caring responsiveness of our staff. Any impact I’ve had on the HPU community is a direct result of the incredible examples set daily by those around me.”

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community