Maxwell Inspires Students to ‘Bring Others with You to the Finish Line’

Posted on March 20, 2014.

John Maxwell at HPUHIGH POINT, N.C., March 20, 2014 – Leadership is all about influence. Having influence gives someone an advantage, but how should influence be used?

John Maxwell, bestselling author who has sold more than 19 million books on leadership, told students, faculty, staff and members of the High Point community that true leaders use influence to motivate others toward a worthy goal.

“Leadership isn’t about winning,” Maxwell said in a crowded Hayworth Fine Arts Center on March 19 when he headlined the 2013-14 Spring Cultural Enrichment Series. “It’s about bringing people with you to the finish line.”

Maxwell is a world-renowned expert on leadership as well as an author, speaker and pastor who not only delivered two presentations on the HPU campus, but also gave students an opportunity to meet him and ask him questions about becoming an effective leader.

“Everything rises and falls on leadership,” Maxwell said during the first event, “A Conversation with Nido Qubein,” and also noted HPU’s stellar growth in the last 10 years and the effective leadership it took to get there.

The most commonly asked question Maxwell has received in his career is often the wrong one, he says.

“Everyone asks me, ‘Are people born to be leaders, or can they learn to become one?’” he said. “That’s the wrong question. Everyone is a leader. The question should be, ‘What kind of a leader am I, and am I continuing to develop as that leader?’”

“I truly enjoyed Mr. Maxwell’s profound message on leadership and success,” said sophomore Mayeesa Mitchell, who attended the events and had the chance to meet Maxwell. “My favorite part of his presentation was when he said that one definition of success is ‘growing to your maximum potential.’ I believe High Point University is helping me to do that by having renowned speakers like Mr. Maxwell on campus. Being able to meet and talk with him individually was an inspiring experience that I will remember for years to come.”

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community