Students Renovate Home Devastated by Hurricane Sandy During Spring Break

03.12.2014

New Jersey Alternative Break 2014 2HIGH POINT, N.C., March 12, 2014 – A family in New Jersey whose house was damaged by Hurricane Sandy received a group of helping hands from High Point University for a week during the university’s spring break.

Seven HPU students and four advisers spent March 1-8 repairing a home that was devastated by water damage in Atlantic City, N.J. They finished drywall, painted and installed new flooring through the course of the project.

“When I learned about the alternative break trip to New Jersey, I was excited because I am originally from New Jersey and spent much time there with my family,” says HPU student Victoria Franklin. “When Sandy hit, I thought I understood the impact the storm had made on my home state, but this trip showed me that I was not prepared for the complete devastation we saw. The satisfaction of our hard work comes from knowing that in the end, every coat of paint, nail pulled, hole drilled and more is worth it to give a deserving person the chance to live safely and comfortably again.”

“The most memorable moment was when we met the granddaughter of the home’s owner,” says Anna Ventrone, assistant coordinator of residential services at HPU and an adviser on the trip. “She stopped by to take pictures of our progress and was excited to see the bedroom that she lived in finished!”

The students also helped shovel driveways in the neighborhood after a snowstorm hit the area during their trip to the state.

This is one of several ways HPU students continue to support Hurricane Sandy recovery efforts. Hundreds of HPU students hail from the Northeast and felt a personal impact when the storm hit. Immediately after the storm, students raised $22,000 for the American Red Cross.

The work in New Jersey was also one of three alternative break trips HPU students participated in, including relief efforts in New Orleans and Haiti. Annually, HPU students, faculty and staff contribute 100,000 hours of service through projects like these and many more.

Sep
      20

13

Kristin Summers
    Class of 2014 Profile: Kristin Summers Joins Procter & Gamble in NYC
    Haley Cotnoir, Congressman Joseph Courtney
    Sophomore Interns for Congressional Campaign
    Jessica Strickler
    Class of 2014 Profile: Jessica Strickler Educates Youth in Virginia