Professor Publishes Book on Biblical Letters of Paul

Robert Moses

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 7, 2014 – Dr. Robert Moses, assistant professor of religion at High Point University, has published his first book, titled “Practices of Power: Revisiting the Principalities and Powers in the Pauline Letters.”

Based on Moses’ dissertation at Duke University, the book examines the Biblical letters Paul wrote, and details the practices Paul advocated for the early believers. Moses goes on to draw illuminating comparisons with traditional African religious practices.

“Paul believed certain practices guarded believers from the dominion of the powers; other practices, however, exposed humans to the work of powers of darkness,” he says.

“Practices of Power” is part of the Emerging Scholars series published through Fortress Press. Emerging Scholars is a curated, selective dissertation series dedicated to highlighting innovative and creative projects from new scholars in the fields of biblical studies, theology and Christian history.

“It is a blessing and a huge honor to have my first book published by one of the flagship publishers in my field,” notes Moses. “Publishing my first book means that my work will generate conversations around a topic I love thinking and writing about. I look forward to being part of those conversations.”

The book is available online at

Moses has also written a number of scholarly articles in biblical studies. He is currently researching the concept of idolatry in Second Temple Judaism and early Christianity, as well as investigating Paul’s theological beliefs in the first two chapters of Romans.