Class of 2014 Profile: Jennifer Silk Ventures to Medical School

Posted on April 30, 2014.

Name: Jennifer Silk

Major: Silk graduated with a B.S. in Biology on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Silk will be attending medical school at Ohio University.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has given me the ‘bricks’ to help me build my foundation for a future career in medicine. From a rigorous academic course load to opportunities outside of the classroom, I have been stretched academically and personally to become the best version of myself each and every day. I am also honored to have had the privilege to get to know my professors on a personal level. Additionally, HPU has continually instilled the importance of service and giving back to those who truly need it most. No matter how busy you are or how hectic your schedule may be, you can always make time to give back to others especially when we are so blessed and privileged to attend such a fantastic university.”

Most impactful moment from HPU: “Due to my interest in children and my desire to help the community of High Point, I became involved in the Big Brother Big Sister Program starting my first semester of college. I was matched with a young girl named Jania and have served as her big sister ever since. The program truly makes an impact on the children involved by providing friendship and support to encourage them to thrive and make the most of every opportunity. I began the program with the expectation that I would be making an impact on the life of a young girl, but she has made a lasting mark on mine. Each week for the past three years, I have been able to work with Jania, building a strong one-on-one relationship with her. It is an honor to serve as her role model because she has been surrounded by violence, drugs, abuse, and a truly broken family. Because of my interest in the program, I organized a trip for all of the children from the Boys and Girls Club to High Point University each semester for an interactive science fair hosted by the biology club.”

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community