Art Professor Selected for National Exhibition

05.21.2014
Fatigue, 5 cents, Salisbury, NC 5-2012

Fatigue, 5 cents, Salisbury, NC 5-2012

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 21, 2014 – High Point University instructor of art Benita VanWinkle has been selected to show two of her photographs at the “Hue” exhibition from May 22 to June 15 at the Darkroom Gallery in Essex Junction, Vt.

Out of 660 submissions, the juror selected 55 photographs for the exhibition, including VanWinkle’s photographs, “Fatigue, 5 cents, Salisbury, NC 5-2012” and “Hairdryer, Spruce Pine, NC 6-2013.”

The exhibition is juried by Al Satterwhite, who has photographs in the permanent collections of the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery, the National Museum of African American History and Culture and numerous other public and private collections. Satterwhite has won many national and international awards and is considered an authority on color and design.

Hairdryer, Spruce Pine, NC 6-2013

Hairdryer, Spruce Pine, NC 6-2013

“I am honored to have my work selected to be in any exhibition of photography or art since it is such an important part of my life, especially one juried by such an esteemed juror as Al Satterwhite, whose work I have followed for years,” VanWinkle says.

In regard to “Hue,” Satterwhite says, “I was very impressed with the quality of work, and the wide range of vision of the many photographers.”

“Fatigue, 5 cents” and “Hairdryer” are part of VanWinkle’s larger series called “Riding the Rail,” which feature photos taken within a short distance of a railroad track.

VanWinkle has been featured in Our State magazine, PainPathways magazine and other national exhibitions.

“I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years, and I can’t imagine not making images every day,” VanWinkle says. “I feel very gifted to be able to share my art with others in a public setting.”

About The Exhibition
“Hue” features photographs that exemplify the innate power of color and capture its impermanent nature. All selected images are included in a full-color exhibit catalog. The exhibition will run from May 22 to June 15, and a reception will be held on June 13 at 5 p.m.

Sep
      20

13

Alyssa Carney
    Class of 2014 Profile: Alyssa Carney Creates a Career in Furniture
    Ed Harlin2
    Class of 2014 Profile: Ed Harlin Captures Home Runs for Atlanta Braves
    Tom Brokaw
    Broadcast Legend Tom Brokaw to Serve as HPU’s 2015 Commencement Speaker