Class of 2014 Profile: Chelsie Skroback Establishes a Future in Communications

05.22.2014

Name: Chelsie Skroback

Major: Skroback graduated with a B.A. in Communication, with a concentration in Journalism, and a B.S. in Psychology on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Skroback accepted a position with Greensboro Country Club as a Communications Coordinator. She will also be performing freelance public relations work for the local offices of RE/MAX.

How HPU helped you get there: “One of the things I tell people at HPU is not to take it for granted. We have great campus, with amazing features, but it’s really what you put in to your experience that makes HPU special. Because of HPU, I not only realized my true passion in journalism, but I began to really delve into the world of journalism by taking as many internships as I could to better my skills and round out my portfolio. Also, the experiential learning aspects for each class I took prepared me for what was to come in internships, as well as for job interviews that eventually landed me my position with GCC. Then, if you add on the amazing faculty and staff that guide you through each class, you end up with this great atmosphere that makes it hard not to excel and achieve what you truly want.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “When I think of most impactful, a staff member comes to mind. Pam Haynes in the Office of Communications is the staff advisor for the Campus Chronicle, and she has been such a blessing to know. Since I started at HPU, she’s been not only been the staff advisor I worked with for the Campus Chronicle, but a mentor and friend. She always has wonderful advice for me, not only about my writing but about career choices as well. When it came time to start applying for jobs she not only celebrated in my victories, but aided in my search by giving me suggestions of where to look when I thought I had exhausted all my options. I feel like my HPU career would have been extremely different had I not met and worked closely with Pam Haynes.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Joining the Campus Chronicle was by far the most impactful moment for me at HPU. It not only started the best three years of my life, but allowed me to realize that journalism was my true passion. It’s the reason I have journalism as a second major, as I only came to HPU with psychology as a transfer student in 2011. I started as a staff writer and slowly grew to Editor in Chief, all while learning and growing my journalism and leadership skills. If I hadn’t taken the time to write my first article, I would hate to think how my college career, and life, would have turned out.”

08

22

Pre-Law students at supreme court
Students Attend, Learn From Supreme Court Hearing
Robin Ganzert
Working With Animal Actors: HPU to Host American Humane Association CEO
HPU students Taylor Agapite and Jessie Hull hand out candy to trick-or-treaters from the Boys and Girls Club of Greater High Point.
HPU Students Host Trick-or-Treating Event for Local Children