Class of 2014 Profile: David Mitchell Is Called to Lead at Travelers

Posted on May 27, 2014.

Name: David Mitchell

Major: Mitchell graduated with a B.S. in Business Administration on May 3, with a minor in Economics.

Post-graduation plans: Mitchell accepted a position in the Financial Management Leadership Development Program (FMLDP) at Travelers Insurance. The three-year rotation program is designed to expose participants to different departments within Travelers, and develop excellent candidates for leadership roles throughout that organization.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU and the education I received proved to be crucial in my own development, and greatly benefited me in attaining my current job. Classical education aside, however, I truly think that the most important thing that my time at High Point taught me was how to simply talk to people. Learning to be a good communicator, and being able to express myself in a clear, passionate way made my time interviewing for, and working with other professionals not only easier, but fun as well. Personally, I think that learning these skills comes from the excellent atmosphere and teaching staff that HPU offers to every student. There was never an intimidating lecture hall scenario where I was one of hundreds, and every professor that I had the opportunity to learn from was engaging and passionate about the work that they were doing.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “The professor who made the greatest impact on me while at HPU was certainly Dr. Stephanie Crofton. I had the privilege to take two of her classes while attending (Labor Economics and Free Enterprise and Capitalism), and right away in each of these classes I could tell that she really cared about each and every student in attendance. Dr. Crofton really pushed us to succeed in class, and even took time out of class to assist me with other matters as well such as creating class schedules. One thing that I value most in any teacher is that he/she is dedicated to the subject they teach and the students who wish to learn, and Dr. Crofton exemplifies both of these attributes.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The moment at HPU which meant the most to me was definitely when I got initiated into the Kappa Sigma Fraternity. The ideals that the organization holds dearly have been ingrained into the way that I think and live every day, and I believe have helped me to become a better man as a whole. Thanks to this fraternity, I know that nothing is impossible when you are willing to put in the work, and I know that if I do fail, I have the unending support of every brother. I know that they will be there to help me up when I fall, and push me to face every obstacle that comes my way.”

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community