Class of 2014 Profile: Meredith MacIver Builds a Future in Furniture

05.26.2014

Name: Meredith MacIver

Major: MacIver graduated with a B.A. in Strategic Communication on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: MacIver accepted a position as a Sales Associate for Bernhardt Furniture Residential in Denver, Co. She assists Andrew Bacik, an HPU alumnus and Bernhardt employee of 15 years, in managing the Colorado, Utah, Las Vegas, Arizona and New Mexico territories.

Twice a year, MacIver will attend the High Point Furniture Market to debut Bernhardt’s new product lines and work with retailers and designers throughout the West on the latest styles.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU did a fantastic job informing students of internships and openings with local companies in the area. HPU sent out an email when I was a junior in college announcing that there was an internship opening with Bernhardt Furniture to work with people from all over the world in the Bernhardt Showroom during the Spring 2013 Furniture Market. After interviewing for the position, I received an offer to come and work during furniture market. Had it not been for HPU’s amazing study abroad program (I had studied abroad in the Rome, Italy the semester before), I would never have had the confidence to apply.

I loved the experience of meeting new people from all over the world and discovered my passion for furniture and interior design. I returned for the Fall 2013 Furniture Market where I interned as a Southern California Sales Representative. After market finished, I was preparing to graduate and had met with my advisor multiple times. He told me to reach out to whomever I could; you never know where it might lead. With his advice I reached out to multiple Bernhardt Furniture Sales Representatives seeing if there were any open positions. By late November a full time position had opened up, I applied, and a few short weeks later, I was on a flight to Denver for my final interview. I accepted the position and could not be more thrilled or thankful.

Had HPU not brought to my attention the internship offer with Bernhardt, I would not be here today. HPU provided me with the tools and professors that helped me with everything from perfecting my resume to practicing interview techniques. My education from HPU has helped me tremendously with my new job.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “The most impactful professor at HPU was Professor Phil Watson. He was my professor for three separate classes and ended up being my new college advisor for my senior year. Landing a job out of college is difficult, but Professor Watson always believed in me. I met with him almost weekly during my job search and he always knew the right words to say when I was discouraged with the job application process. He is one of the most down to earth, caring and compassionate professors at HPU. He truly cares about the students and would make time to meet with students even if it meant staying after work. Professor Watson didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear, he told you what you needed to hear. I admire Professor Watson and am lucky to have had such an influential role model in my life.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU was becoming an International Ambassador after my study abroad experience in Rome, Italy. Not only was I able to share my love for traveling, but also I was able to encourage other students to chase their dreams and not let fear stand in the way. It’s amazing where one college decision will take you. Studying abroad instilled in me the confidence to approach everything in life as an opportunity. That confidence allowed me to perfect my public speaking through my international ambassador position, helped me to go out on a limb and apply for an international sales internship and finally, helped me to land a job with a company I love. I firmly believe that because of HPU’s study abroad program, I was able to accept my job offer with Bernhardt, which moved me halfway across the country with little to no hesitation. I hope that my experience will help other students leave their comfort zone and explore everything the world has to offer.”

13

08

WindSync
    HPU to Host Community Concert by WindSync Quintet
    Bob Rathbun
    Sportscaster Bob Rathbun to Visit HPU
    Broyhill at HPU 1
    Senator James Broyhill Shares Stories of Capitol Building