Class of 2014 Profile: Taylor Renwick Forges Her Own Path

05.15.2014

Name: Taylor Renwick

Major: Renwick graduated with a B.A. in Strategic Communication on May 3, with a minor in Graphic Design.

Post-graduation plans: Renwick accepted a position as an Assistant Account Executive/Digital and Social Marketing Specialist at Sweeney Public Relations and Marketing in Wilmington, NC. She will begin working on May 19. “This is a GREAT opportunity! I inquired about the company back in February. They had no positions open but they were impressed with my resume and cover letter and decided to reach out to me. After talking with the President, Account Executives, CEO/Founder, and even the intern, they created a position for me. I finally decided to accept the offer after Nido’s speech about graduating job creators not job takers — I literally created a job.”

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University helped me discover my passions. For the longest time I wanted to be a Physical Therapist and started off as an Exercise Science major. I excelled in my science classes and completed some job shadowing requirements. One day, I decided that the field was not for me because it did not have the team atmosphere and interactive feel that I wanted. I am a bit of a social butterfly and wanted to work closely with other social butterflies and work in a field that was challenging, constantly changing, and versatile. After my freshman year, I went to Career and Internship Services. I had the pleasure of meeting Eric Melniczek. Mr. Melniczek had me take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and the Campbell Interest and Skill Survey. The results were pretty clear — I needed to be in Marketing and Communication. Not a day later, I switched my major from Exercise Science to Strategic Communication. HPU helped me pinpoint what field was best suited for me and helped me grow as a leader, learner, professional and person.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Professor Watson! He has been such a wonderful professor, mentor, advisor, and friend. I met Prof. Watson my sophomore year when I took Foundations of Strategic Communications and fell in love with his class, teaching style and outgoing/helpful personality. It was because of his positive attitude, effective communication skills and preparedness for class that I decided to take two more classes with him. I spent so much time in his office, whether for class purposes or simply for life advice. He has great insight into the Public Relations and Communication field; he was able to help guide me towards my passions and wants in a company. Professor Watson eventually became my advisor! This was no surprise since I always stopped by for visits and ran my approved schedule by him. If any communication student has the opportunity to take his class, I would highly recommend it! The content is useful, and he is personable, knowledgeable and kind. He is truly embodies the mission of HPU; he puts students first and is the most caring person I have come across at HPU.  He is simply wonderful!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Throughout my four years at High Point University, I have immersed myself in many Honor Societies, leadership roles, and extracurricular activities: Assistant Resident Director, Kappa Delta, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Lambda Pi Eta just to name a few. As I tell most people, my favorite experiences revolved around my involvement with Panhellenic. As a new member of Kappa Delta in the spring of 2011, I ran for Panhellenic Delegate in hopes of representing my chapter. I was selected to serve my chapter and attend all Panhellenic meetings. I fell in love with the mission of Panhellenic, Teri Cugliari and the other members of this organization. During my time on Panhellenic I served as a delegate, Judicial Board Committee member, Community Relations Committee member and most recently as the Vice President of Public Relations. The moment we had officer transitions, it really hit me that I was graduating. Panhellenic and Ms. Cugliari had been a HUGE part of my experience and success at High Point University; I could not believe that the thing I was most passionate about and dedicated to, was coming to an end. Panhellenic was a great experience! I traveled to Atlanta with the other executive members and Ms. Cugliari, and got to learn about what it means to be a leader, friend and member of something bigger than just a single person or as a sorority. There’s this whole community and network of Greeks that people don’t even realize exists. I met one of my best friends through the SEPC event in Atlanta, planned successful community-wide events, grew as a leader, learned how to compromise and be a team-player and discovered a lot about myself as an individual. The most impactful moment of Panhellenic was graduating and knowing that I upheld the mission of Panhellenic, made new friends, served others, impacted the community and left my university in a better place than I found it. I have graduated and left my mark at HPU, a goal I had since freshman year.”

08

22

Psychology, HPU, Relationship Research, Sadie Leder
    Professor Authors Chapter in New Book for Aspiring Psychology Professors
    Sharon Love
    HPU to Host Mother of Slain UVA Student for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
    Junior Michelle Palombi informs buyers about products at Designmaster Furniture during the fall High Point Market.
    Industry Exposé: Students Work at High Point Market