Class of 2014 Profile: Tyler Steelman Pursues the Path to Public Service

Posted on May 2, 2014.

With a successful 2014 Commencement Ceremony behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2014:

Name: Tyler Steelman

Major: Steelman graduated with a B.A. in Political Science on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Steelman will be attending graduate school at Appalachian State University for his master’s degree in political science. His ultimate plan is to run for office someday.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point has prepared me for graduate school in so many ways. The experiential learning curriculum has given me confidence in my abilities and I know that I am ready for my next step. Also, my work as Student Government President has given me the opportunity to work on my communication and leadership skills to enforce the concepts I learned in the President’s Seminar my freshman year.”

Most impactful professor from HPU: “Perhaps the most influential person in my academic career at High Point is Dr. Alixandra Yanus. As my political science advisor, she has taken it upon herself to ensure that I am academically prepared for the graduate studies. Since my freshman year I have been able to count on her guidance, support, and encouragement both in my coursework and in life as well.”

Community members enjoy a carriage ride drawn by Clydesdale horses during the first night of High Point University’s fourth annual Community Christmas.
Thousands Enjoy HPU’s 4th Annual Community Christmas
This photo features faculty and staff from the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication with gifts donated for five families from the Hattie Lee Burgess home.
Qubein School of Communication Provides Christmas for Five Families
Norcross Gaduate School
Norcross Graduate School to Host Open House