Class of 2014 Profile: Alyssa Springer Pursues Masters While Teaching

06.16.2014

Name: Alyssa Springer

Major: Springer graduated with a B.A. in Elementary Education, with a minor in Music and a concentration in Voice, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Springer accepted a position teaching sixth grade at Phoenix Academy charter school in High Point. While teaching, she will also be completing a Masters of Education with a concentration in Literacy through HPU’s graduate school.

How HPU helped you get there: “My education at HPU was crucial to me being offered a job at Phoenix Academy. Education has always been my passion, but my professors took me in as an excited freshman and taught me just how much there was to learn and how much work ethic it would take to be a successful teacher. They not only taught me the material, but they made me think about it, and apply it in my student teaching classroom. I was taught how to make meaningful connections with my students and that made all the difference in how I taught my them. My professors pushed me to make me the best teacher that I could be, and shared their passion for teaching and learning with me. I don’t think I would have the thirst for knowledge that I can now share with my students if my professors had not helped me develop it in an academic way.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “The professor who made all the difference for me was Dr. Leslie Cavendish. At the beginning of my senior year I came to her with a paper I had written over the summer comparing the International Baccalaureate Program and the Common Core State Standards. My only goal was to present my findings in her class, however, after reading it she told me just how important my research was. She impressed upon me that not only was it interesting, it was also new, and had the potential to be successful at research conferences and even had the possibility of being published. Three research conferences and one publication later, I can only say that with out her guidance and support, I never would have accomplished so much in my undergraduate career. I am so grateful to have been able to work under such an amazing faculty member. She truly helped me realize my full potential and I could never thank her enough for taking the time to work with me.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I think the moment I realized how much I’d accomplished in my past four years was when I was awarded with my All University Honors Medallion at the Honors Day ceremony. It took four years of hard work to graduate with this honor and I was determined to complete it. This was a goal I had been striving for since my freshman year, and to accomplish it and be recognized for my hard work was an incredible feeling.”

13

08

August Extraordinary Leaders
    August Awards Two Extraordinary Leaders
    Poll-Icon-4-Large-Sq
    HPU/News & Record Poll: 7 Percent Teacher Pay Raise is Too Little, According to N.C. Likely Voters
    Poll-Icon-4-Large-Sq
    HPU Poll: Hagan and Tillis Have Different Strengths on Policy Issues, Voters Say